To The Few And The Brave From All Of Us Who Understand, Thank You

To those who have no idea the sacrifices our military men and women are making for us.

311
Daryn Allen

To the few and the brave,

This might be one of the hardest articles I’ve had to write thus far, so please bear with me. Our United States Military is something that means a lot to me and my family. Each generation of men in my family has served our country in the military. My mom and dad have always preached to my brothers and I, “God, family, and country.” Now that I’m older and realize the importance of the military, the glue that keeps our entire country together, I realize how truly proud I am to be apart of a family with morals and values such as mine. Family has always come first for us; in my house, we love hard and work to only improve each other. We are a strong-willed family, and we always set goals with the intention of making sure these goals are met. There was no easy way out when it came to life; my parents were extremely strict and had big plans for each and every one of us.

At 19, my baby brother enlisted in the United States Army, and then at 24, my older brother shortly after did the same. For a family that loves each other as much as we do, it has been a difficult situation as we miss the boys tremendously every day. I do not know when I will see them again, but I hope that “someday” is sooner rather than later.

There are not enough words to say how I feel about my two brothers and the pride I feel watching them live out their dreams. It’s awesome, inspiring, and encouraging to know that these two amazing men are part of our Country’s strongest fighting force. We love our boys and all military men who choose to defend our country because let’s face it, not many people have it in them to drop their “easy” lives and become soldiers, leaving both friends and family behind.

This is why when I see one negative thing about the men and women who serve us and our country, I kind of go a little crazy! First of all, I believe respect should always be given to ANY member of the military. I believe in buying dinner for the veterans sitting beside you in the restaurant. I believe in letting a veteran skip you in line in the grocery store checkout. I believe in shaking hands and thanking service members. That is how I was raised and how I believe others should be raised.

So to me, do not show disrespect for the men and women who signed up to do something that you will never have the guts to do. Don’t ask me “why did your brothers choose the military of all things?” Do not ever question my brothers, my dad, my uncle, my grandfathers, and any other who had the strength to stand up and do things that you would never be mature or determined enough to do.

They wanted to fight for our lives. I am proud that I know so many incredible men who give forth all they have to save people like you. While you sit on the couch eating pizza and watching movies my brother is sleeping in the freezing cold in the woods. If you get to communicate and spend time with your family at any time, consider yourself lucky. We very rarely get to see my brothers.

I consider myself lucky to be surrounded by real men with real values who chose to fight not only for my family and our lives but our country’s life. So, when you see a service member, think about the sacrifices they have made, the holidays they have missed, and the strength and endurance they have within them. I choke up thinking of how these six years without my brothers will probably be the longest six years of my life.

I choke up thinking about those with family in the military who have lost or injured soldiers in their lives. I hope you realize the sacrifices being made daily for you. I hope you realize that without these brave men and women, we would not be considered “The Land of the Free because of the Brave.” So next time you see a military male or female member, take the time to thank them for fighting for our country. Sit and pray for their peace and safety. Remember all they give up and miss daily, like holidays or important events just so they can protect and defend our great country.

As for your part, there are so many things you can do to support our military near and far. Please take the time and see what you can do to help those that are constantly helping you. If all else fails, when you hear our country’s National Anthem, stand up in admiration for the men and women fighting for you. We are such a blessed and fortunate country, and may we never forget that.

My brothers are my protectors, my best friends, a huge part of my heart, but most importantly my heroes. They are filled with strength, confidence, commitment, and oddly enough a lot of love. It amazes me every day that they have grown up so much and how mature they have become since joining our Armed Forces. No doubt, seeing both of my brothers graduate from boot camp brought tears to my eyes and reminds me just how special and admirable they both are. I absolutely know without a doubt that they will continue to grow up and spend a lifetime making not only me but my entire family and friends proud. These boys have so much going for them. It’s amazing and I can’t stop counting down the days until I get to see each of them again.

My brothers decided to join the military for no reason other than they wanted to defend our wonderful country like all of my family before them. Yes, I was shocked and I cried a bit (okay well I actually cried a lot.)

I encourage you to find ways to help our country's military, big or small. Start a fundraiser at your school, send care packages, send Christmas cards. I am telling you, the smallest things always mean so much to them.

Do not just sit around while people are fighting and defending your life, it is time to stand up and do something. Become appreciative of the time you have with your loved ones like some do not. Lastly, say a prayer every night for those fighting for our country, here or overseas, everywhere.