Military Coup In Myanmar

Military Coup In Myanmar

- Feb. 2021

14
Military Coup In Myanmar
https://abcnews.go.com/International/myanmar-coup-latest-aung-san-suu-kyi-faces/story?id=75657913

Myanmar, a southeast Asian country that is neighbors to Thailand, Laos, Bangladesh, China, and India. The country gained independence from Britain in 1948. It was ruled by the armed forces from 1962 until 2011 when a new government began ushering in a return to civilian rule.On February 1st, 2021, the military detained the elected democratic government officials and took over the country by staging vote fraudulence in Myanmar. Human rights for the citizens of Myanmar have been taken away and national tv and media have been cut off. I have done some research and learned that this isn't a new thing and that Myanmar has been suffering from abusive military practice over the past sixty years. Myanmar obtained democracy only since 2011 as before then was governed as an "authoritarian regime". With a military on the streets, citizens can't even protest and many activists have been arrested. The military has declared a year-long state of emergency due to their belief that the general elections were false and fraudulent. They declared a rerun without any evidence, despite that Ms. Suu Kyi ( the clear winner of the election) was been put on house arrest and has several charges. The person in charge of the government currently is commander-in-chief Min Aung Hlaing. He has received international condemnation and sanctions for his alleged role in the military's attacks on ethnic minorities. International reaction has been split into two different viewpoints some saying it is against all democratic reforms and others saying it's an internal matter. What will happen is hard to tell and it will be determined by how things escalate in the next few days or weeks.