Being A Middle Child Prepared Me For Life

According to Urban Dictionary, "the oldest child gets all the awards, the younger gets all the love, and the middle gets nothing."

176

Middle children typically have low self-esteem, are introverts, have pangs of jealousy, feel unworthy, seek attention and have trust issues.

Hi, I'm Kiley and I'm a middle child.

While growing up, I can definitely say those characteristics, among others, applied to me. However, growing up as a middle child has made me stronger, independent, and ultimately prepared for my life as an adult.

With my independence, I've never had to rely on other people to be there for me or to do things for me, I've become very good at doing that all on my own. Of course, my parents are there for me and always have been. I would say my parents did a better job dealing with me as a middle child than other parents do. With that being said though, there were still times when I had to rely on my own independence. I always remember when we'd go on vacations growing up, it'd be my dad and sister and mom and brother. I would just be in the middle trying to join in on the conversations each pair had. That's changed a little bit now, which I'm grateful for. But I've noticed since I've been away at college, it's starting to show up again since my sister still lives at home and my brother visits more than I do.

I know I have to do more to get noticed, which is why when I was younger I would throw random temper tantrums. But now, I just push myself to achieve my goals and get awards to get noticed. That has always made me extremely hardworking, ambitious, and made me strive more for my own success.

I've never felt like I've had to conform to people's behaviors or beliefs. I'm always on my own, and I know who I am from the countless times I've had to be by myself while my parents and siblings had their own conversations. It's never been hard for me to make friends, if you don't like me, you don't like me, don't worry about it — I've got it all under control.

I've always been a risk-taker, sometimes I do things without thinking (yeah, sometimes that has a VERY negative effect) and I've consistently been open to new things. This has helped me step up so much in my academic career and just in my personal life in general.

Again, my parents do better than a lot of other ones. I would never say I was neglected, or even forgotten about, sometimes I just felt like they didn't know I was all there. But overall, I'm thankful for my parents for making me a middle child. I gained so many skills that have helped me in my life with college, jobs, internships, relationships, etc. So, thanks, mom and dad! I'm a middle child, and I'm pretty freaking great.