Transferring To Michigan Was The Best Decision I Have Ever Made

I applied to 15 schools out of community college, but there was only 1 for me: The University of Michigan.

272
Chloe Wallach

Last year, one of the first articles I ever wrote for the Odyssey was what I had learned during my first semester at the University of Michigan as a transfer student. Well, now that I have been here for two years and am about to graduate this month, I am here to tell you that it was undoubtedly the best decision I have ever made.

There was never a question about whether or not I was going to transfer schools (as I was at a community college and had the plan from the beginning to leave after two years). The difficult part for me was choosing which school to transfer to. After my time at community college in California, I applied to 15 schools. 11 out of those 15 schools were located in California, and I only applied to Michigan on a whim.

To be entirely honest, I didn’t know anything about Michigan. I knew that they were the Wolverines, that their colors were maize and blue, and that their winters were freezing cold. The only reason I even applied was because the man that was helping me with my college applications was a Michigan alumni and I thought “hmm, why not just add it onto the list?” Well, that was easily the best decision that I have ever made.

Sure, I miss California. And sure, I am still not used to the winters here. I mean, 50 degree winters to -5 degree winters is quite the drastic change. However, it is a change that I will never regret committing to.

Michigan has provided me with a great education, an insane amount of school pride, and has introduced me to some of my best friends. I couldn’t imagine choosing a different school, and I can only hope that other students at Michigan feel the same way as I do.

This semester, I was lucky enough to become a student ambassador for transfer students entering LS&A (Language, Sciences and the Arts). I took on this role because I knew that I wanted others to be able to experience what I have. If I can show at least one person the amazing life they can live as a wolverine, then that would be enough for me.

I may be an overly sentimental second semester senior who is getting emotional as her final weeks of college are rolling around the corner, but all I can say is this: Go Blue or Go Home!