Why Michigan is an Amazing State

Why Michigan is an Amazing State

The weather may be fickle, but the place is beautiful

63
Why Michigan is an Amazing State
www.chairish.com

For those of you who know me well, yes, I cannot deny the fact that I was born and raised in California. Most of my life has been spent on those sunny shores amidst the waves, sand, and beach towns. However, my heart always has been, and always will be, in the great state of Michigan.

I've been coming to Michigan since I was an infant. You see, my father was born and raised in Plymouth, a city just outside Ann Arbor, home to the famed University of Michigan. Well after my dad left Michigan, my grandparents moved up north to Elk Rapids, a little lake town on the northwestern part of the lower peninsula. It became a family tradition to come up for one week every summer and spend time at my grandparents' lake house. So, as you can imagine, I've been to Michigan many times.

As long as I can remember, I've always been head-over-heels for this wonderful place. Some of the happiest memories of my life were made in Michigan. I equate this state with love, freedom, and safety.

Knowing this information, it won't surprise anyone to hear that I decided to continue my education here. Since seventh grade, I knew I wanted to go to school in Michigan, particularly at Hillsdale College. I was thrilled when I received my acceptance letter. Little did I know, I was in for a big surprise when it came to the weather.

It just so happened that during my freshman year we experienced the polar vortex. Never in my wildest imagination would I have thought that the temperatures could drop to -40 degrees Fahrenheit, and the snow piles could reach higher than the top of my head.

Nevertheless, the harsh weather did little to dampen my spirit when it came to Michigan. To this day I'm still impressed by the greenness of the state, the long, winding country roads, the amazingly pungent apple cider, the sparkling, blue lakes, and the pure beauty of everything. As a little girl, I never understood why the state was often referred to as "Pure Michigan."

Now I get it: Michigan truly is pure. The colors are bright and true in all seasons, except the end of fall, the tastes of the cherries, honey crisp apples, and fish from the lakes are fresh, clean, and flavorful, the lakes shine as blue as the Caribbean. Michigan has it all. So despite what you may hear from some nay-sayers and some of us when we start to get sick of the snow and cold, come visit this amazing place; experience its beauties and wonders for yourself. I promise you won't regret it.