A Letter Of Thanks To The Miami University Odyssey Team
Hobbies

To The Miami University Odyssey Team, From Your President

All good things must come to an end.

402
Julia Waterbury

I joined Odyssey in the summer of 2016, just before my sophomore year of college. I had always loved writing, but as a marketing major with my schedule packed full of business classes, I was finding that I didn't have much of an outlet for creative writing, and I really missed it.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from Odyssey, but I hoped that it would become that creative outlet for me.

Odyssey turned out to be exactly that and so much more. Odyssey became part of my identity and the team at Miami turned into my community. I became a better writer and editor, I got experience with the intricacies of social media marketing, and I had the opportunity to grow my leadership skills. I met so many wonderful people that I probably never would have known and had doors opened that wouldn't have been otherwise.

I still remember the first article I ever wrote, a letter of advice to my friends starting college. I remember the first time one of my articles broke 10,000 views (now at 80,000) and the first time one broke 100,000 (now at 650,000). However, the most memorable part of my time with Odyssey has been the feeling of getting to share my voice and passions with people from all over the country.

Almost three years later, it's finally my time to say goodbye to the team that means so much to me. While I've known this time was coming (after all, my parents informed me very early on that taking more than four years to graduate was not an option), I'm still a little surprised by how hard it is going to be to say goodbye. It hasn't always been easy. There have been days where I've felt a little bit like I was drowning in responsibility, days when the last thing I wanted to do was write another article, and days that have been just plain frustrating.

However, the joys I've gotten to experience vastly outweigh the difficulties I've faced, and for that, I owe it to all of you.

To my team members, both past and present:

None of this would have been possible without all of you. I've enjoyed seeing all of you experience the same joys that I've experienced as a writer. I've loved helping you whether it's been coming up with a topic idea, editing your articles, or answering your questions. It's been an honor to work alongside you as a fellow writer as well as to work for you as President. I look forward to continuing to read the wonderful content you produce and seeing all of you succeed as writers.

To Amanda:

I couldn't have asked for a better Editor-in-Chief to work alongside. You have done so much for me and our team and I'm so glad that I've gotten to experience all of it with you. Hollan always called us the dream team, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

I hope you all know how much Odyssey and our team has meant to my college experience. It has been an enormous privilege to serve as your President and I can't thank you enough for the role that each one of you has played in this experience.

Sincerely,

Your President