Messy Hair vs. A Messy Heart

Messy Hair vs. A Messy Heart

To the girl struggling- it's okay.

175
Messy Hair vs. A Messy Heart
Gracie Christ

I believe there are two types of girls; girls who get out of the shower, wrap a towel around their bodies and immediately brush through their wet hair, and there are the girls like myself, who throw on a big t-shirt and bundle their hair up in a towel instead. But no matter which routine suits you best, eventually you'll have to brush through the tangles and deal with it, unless you’re asking for a disaster that’s bound to appear. Life occurs in a similar way- the tangles and knots are inevitable, but you must brush them out -- on your own time and in your own way.

In the mix of all things that scream "GIRL", but contradicting the "pretty flowers" aspect, there comes a tangle of emotions, tangles of the mind, and tangles of the heart (whether it's that time of the month or not). And frankly, that's totally okay! What's not okay, however, is to allow the bitterness of a bad day or the cruelty of society consume you. Stay true to your heart and all things will follow from there.

When push comes to shove and you're convinced there's no solution to whatever madness may be directed your way, sometimes it's best to move past the knots, throw your hair up, and face the facts before growing too overwhelmed to even function. After all, messy hair is much more bearable than a messy heart filled with anything but happiness!

So, before reaching a meltdown from fighting the tangles, throw your hair up, take deep breaths, and consider these important reminders:

Not everyone is required to like you and not everyone will-- and that's okay.

While holding hatred for another person isn’t effective in any way, that doesn't mean you have to necessarily "like" everyone you come across. That means it's okay if someone doesn't like you. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with who you are or that you should change; everyone is different. While being liked by other people may provide a sense of acceptance, if you are capable of accepting yourself for who you are inside, then that is all that matters at the end of the day.

Things may not always go as you expect them to and not everything stays the same-- and that's okay.

We tend to get caught up in the big picture we have drawn out for ourselves, which can sometimes lead to disappointment with the reality; however, with an open-mind and a flexible attitude, it's easier to accept change. After all, changes make you wiser. Change is good. It's up to you to make the best of it rather than dwelling on it.

Not everyone you meet has the same heart as you-- and that's okay.

Though it'd be a remarkable sight if everyone had the same caring and kind heart as you, that’s just not how the world works. It's okay that someone may not say "thank you" if you hold a door open for them; you're not accountable for their reaction, you're only in charge of your own doings. If you do the right thing or what you feel in your heart to do, that's all you’re entitled to worry about and that's all that should matter in your eyes.

You will always be "too much" for someone-- and that's okay.

Whether it be "too sensitive", "too serious", or "too loud", you will always appear to be "too much" of something for someone; however, the right people who are deserving enough to get to know every aspect of you will soon grow fond of all things unique that make you, YOU. They will think you are just enough; not too much or not too less.

You will not always be appreciated by everyone-- and that's okay.

It will only make it that much more special and meaningful when you actually are appreciated for who you are and what you do. And when you find the people who appreciate you, hold on to them tight and love them without limitation. As far as those unable to recognize your worth and all that you have to offer, don't let it stop you from being yourself or from doing what you feel is right; give without expecting to receive.

Bad days are normal and everyone has them; unfortunately, not everyone has the mentality to recognize their own strength in order to turn a day around. YOU are responsible for your day- from the moment you wake up, to the very second you close your eyes, you are in full control.

You are loved, you are capable, and messy hair is always better than a messy heart.