A Message To The Friend Who's Always Happy

It's OK to be chill sometimes.

428
Stock Snap

In every friend group, there's always the friend that is constantly bubbly and giddy. You seem to never see them upset or angry about anything. Then one day they don't give off that ray of energy and positivity people around them are used to. People are worried. They start to ask questions. "Are you OK?" "Yeah. I'm fine." "You sure?" "Yes, I'm sure." As that friend, I would like to say: "Yes. We're fine. We're probably just tired."

It's a difficult job being the sponge that absorbs peoples crappy moods and turns them into good ones. The act of cheering people up in it of itself can be extremely mentally taxing. Some days, we may want to rest our glowing auras and vibrant personalities just a little bit. 90 percent of the time, we are in fact OK. We're just resting.

That doesn't mean we don't ever feel sad. The great Robin Williams once said, “I think the saddest people always try their hardest to make people happy because they know what it’s like to feel absolutely worthless and they don’t want anyone else to feel like that.” Your happiest friends probably do feel this way.

But just because they're not bouncing off the walls one day, doesn't mean they're sad. We could just be really focused on our day and the next task we have to face. We could be thinking about getting a monster cookie from Marycrest.

We could be thinking about what to binge watch on Netflix once we have time. Sometimes when we think, it's not out loud and it's not with a huge smile on our faces. Don't worry! It doesn't necessarily mean we're sad.

Odds are, if you have one of these wonderful friends, they'll be open and honest with you. If they are feeling upset, they'll tell you. Good friends are open and honest with each other.

We, as the overly happy friends, must remember that we are allowed to feel things other than intoxicating joy. We can just be chill for a day or two. Or a week. Or even a month. It's OK!