A Message For All Incoming College Freshmen

Something everyone needs to know.

41
breakthroughmiami.org

There's always that group of people who have been wanting to graduate high school since the first day of ninth grade. There are the kids who might have no idea what they want to do yet and they're apprehensive about going away to school. However, both groups, confident or not, will have questions. There will be uncertainties and hesitations. It's normal to be nervous, because everyone else is, too. Even the loudest, most obnoxious freshmen are nervous too. Nobody knows exactly what to expect. You can read up on as many college tips as you'd like, or talk to family friends that have crazy party stories, but everyone's experience will be different.

It's important that regardless of the judgments you've already made before move-in day, that you go in with a positive mindset. It's vital that whether you're nervous, excited, scared, or indifferent about school, that you're accepting to everyone and everything during the first few weeks. It's okay to observe and be reserved at first, but don't hesitate when introducing yourself to the people who live on your floor. Get involved in the awkward activities you're supposed to do with the other freshmen: the endless ice-breakers, remembering names in a circle and so much more. The games may seem juvenile, but there's no dodging them and everyone else is just as reluctant to play them as you. Trust me.

Remember to keep in touch with Mom and Dad, and never forget to call your best friends from high school. Whether they're across the country or in the same state as you, a call is always appreciated. As time continues, you'll realize who your real high school friends are while also seeing the people who faded away over time. Either way, the friends you make in college will compensate for the friends who didn't stick around after high school. You're going to make friends with your roommate and people on your floor, you'll talk to people in your classes and you will definitely meet people at parties that you'll never forget. Freshman year is just the start to some of the many amazing people you're going to meet and become family with.

Enjoy holiday breaks and time being home. It makes you realize how nice it is to be home and how much you eventually miss being at school. This year is going to fly by, so enjoy every second of it. Enjoy your independence and also learn how to manage it. Don't stress yourself out to the point where you feel sick -- try your best and that's all that matters. Go out on the weekends, and on some weekdays, too. It's okay to miss class occasionally (I definitely missed a few 8 a.m.’s). Be open minded. Although most of this may sound cliche and repetitive, it's genuinely important to walk into your first day feeling positive. College is a huge adjustment that's easier for some than others. It's normal to feel lost or uncertain at times and normal to have days where you're homesick. But whether this adjustment is easy or hard, don't go in expecting bad grades, crappy professors, or annoying peers. Your mindset is everything.