How To Mentor When You're Still Babyfaced Yourself

11 Tips and Tricks Life Taught Me

35
Public Domain

It can be difficult to mentor others. It's even more difficult when you don't have complete authority, are younger than the the folks you are mentoring, or lack an enormous amount of experience. Here are some tips and tricks straight from my own life experience.

1. Check in with people.

If you don't know people, you can't help them. The easiest way to start is wih a genuine "How are you today?"

2. Ask questions.

Learn all you can and use appropriate resources! If you don't know much of anything, you can't mentor anybody!

3. Enter the dialogue when you have the knowledge.

No sense in bothering the higher ups, if it can be solved among the lowly.

4. Lead by example.

One of the quietest and most effective ways of mentoring.

5. Compliment (when applicable)

People don't always notice or realize their success so give them the applause when you notice fabulous stuff occurring.

6. Give critiques carefully.

"In my experience..." can be a vital phrase here!

7. Develop mutually helpful relationships.

Just because you're working to mentor, doesn't mean that people can't mentor you.

8. Talk about your own growth.

Sharing your own growth can help others chart their own journeys.

9. Know when things get out of your league.

You don't have to have all the answers at this stage in the game!

10. Ask for greater responsibilities.

Once you get good at the mentoring basics, you should try it on a larger scale.

11. Try your best because you're still learning too!