Mental Illness Is Real

Mental Illness Is Real

It's Not Just Something Thats Made Up In Your Head

40
Mental Illness Is Real
Rochester Regional Health

As I'm sure many of you are aware, mental and behavioral health are very important to your overall well being. Mental health awareness has grown so much over the years and has come so far from just being "hush hush" behind closed doors.

In the midst of the 20th century, Yale College graduate Clifford W. Beers attempted suicide by jumping from a 3rd story window. He was driven to suicide by the death and illness of his brother and also from experiencing his first bipolar episode according to http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/our-history. Following this tragedy, he was moved to private hospitals and witness the horror that was the mental health industry.

From experimental trials to unauthorized medical procedures, staying in a mental health hospital was horrific in that time, to say the least. The smallest things like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder would be enough to get you into a mental institution and medication. Headaches would be grounds enough for a lobotomy and mood swings would be grounds enough for tranquilizers. Mental health care in the 20th century was absolutely inhumane and cruel.

As a child, I was always told "you just need to stop worrying." or "just think of something happy and you'll be okay." People referred to it as a phase or some would see it as a cry for attention. It wasn't until I was older that someone finally came around and said, "What you're experiencing is real, it's not all in your head." Most people told me that it was all in my head and I just needed to stop thinking about it; finally after a suicide attempt that they realized it was real.

Mental illnesses are not just in your head, they are not just made up in your mind and they are not made up to get attention or sympathy from others. Your symptoms are just as real as the grass and the sky and by no means are you making them up; if no one has told you that before, they should have. If you're feeling down or need someone to talk to, please there is help out there for you. You don't have to go through this alone and you shouldn't have to. The first step is to realize something is wrong and to go get help. I won't tell you that the 1st step is easy because it's every bit of scary, but it is beyond worth it.

If you are feeling suicidal, please call or visit this website https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/. If you need help and need to talk to someone, please visit this website http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/finding-therapy. I also encourage you to research counseling centers near you to take that 1st step. Mental ilness is real and there are people out there to help you; you just need to take that 1st step.