5 Mental Health New Year's Resolutions For 2021, For Me And For You

Prioritizing your mental health is the key to being successful so this year, my New Year's resolution is to improve my mental health - and yours should be too!

123
Photo by Alysha Rosly on Unsplash

I think we can all agree that 2020 was not what any of us expected. Going into 2020, on New Year's Eve 2019, I remember how hopeful everyone was and the jokes about the year having 20/20 vision.

Now things are quite the opposite- we were blinded, people are extremely pessimistic and honestly, I can't say I blame them. As a student, my classes have become a lot harder and less manageable. Although I don't think things will completely change come the new year, I have hope that I can do more to make it easier to handle.

I plan to do this by setting these New Year's Resolutions/Goals for myself. It's not the "new year, new me" schtick, but it'll work nonetheless.

I will organize my school and work agenda more thoroughly. 

This means keeping my agenda neat and updated. I feel like this is the first step to making better grades and performing better in school.

I will communicate with the university and staff when I need help. 

All universities want their students to succeed. Taking advantage of the health services is part of what you're paying for as a student.

I will make time to take care of myself.

Whatever your love language is you should use it to treat yourself as well as others. For example, if your love language is gifts buy yourself a meal from your favorite restaurant (even if it's out of the budget) every once in a while. If its words of affirmations tell yourself some nice things or write affirmations on your bathroom mirror.

I will get involved in my community and not let myself become isolated. 

This was a major problem I came in contact with this semester. It is easy to become isolated with online classes. Trying something new or joining an organization is an easy way to overcome this.

I will find healthy outlets for my stress and anxieties.

Whether it's friends or family or an activity finding an outlet for stress can be a game changer.

I hope you use these as your new years resolutions and keep a better mindset for 2021!