Mental Health Means More Than The Gym And Vitamins
Mental Health

Your Mental Health Takes More Than The Gym And Vitamins

What's in your head is just as important as what's in your body.

951
"You can go to the gym, drink your water, and take your vitamins, but if you don't deal with the shit going on in your heart and head you're still going to be unhealthy." — quote from tumblr

Lately, I have seen an increase in people making Instagram pages on fitness, eating healthy, etc. That is great and all, and I'm proud of them for helping others reach goals and stay healthy through those, however, I don't often seeing attention brought to another major area of health: mental health.

"Mental health is just as important as physical health. I wish people could understand that the brain is the most important organ of our body. Just because you can't see mental illness like you could see a broken bone, doesn't mean it's not as detrimental or devastating to a family or an individual." — The Healthy Place

Mental health is not something you can always see in a person. There are signs someone can look for such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, but often times, it can go undetected or hidden because it is not easy for some people to talk about.

"People talk about physical fitness, but mental health is equally important. I see people suffering, and their families feel a sense of shame about it, which doesn't help. One needs support and understanding. I am now working on an initiative to create awareness about anxiety and depression and help people." — Deepika Padukone

I have been a strong advocate for bringing awareness to mental health since high school, which is when I really learned the importance of it from experiences in my community, school. and friend group. It affects not only the person going through mental health problems but also it affects those around them which is why awareness and understanding are so important. Supporting those affected and letting them know they aren't alone is also important. They should not be afraid, feel shameful or wrong for their thoughts, feelings, and diagnoses.

So for everyone out there struggling with their mental health, it's okay. You aren't alone. You are loved and supported by if no one else, me. Please do not be afraid to reach out to talk to someone and seek help. Mental health is just as important as physical health.

For those who do not think mental health is as important, I encourage you to do more research and hear people's stories.