During Final Exams, Make Sure Your Mental Health Is A Priority
Mental Health

These Last Few Weeks Of The Semester, Make Sure Your Mental Health Is A Priority, Too

I think it is imperative for everyone to remember one key message: that everyone should not sacrifice their happiness and well being just to do well in these last few weeks.

1141

We all know what's ahead of us: tests, quizzes, essays, and assignments. All crowded and lumped together, just for our convenience. The horde of all these academic tasks alongside other responsibilities such as working, exercising and maintaining our relationships with friends looks daunting for our nearby future prospects. Realizing the amount of pressure and work that you face, you start panicking. Before you know it, you start resorting towards desperate solutions such as Adderall and all-nighters.

The scenario I just presented is fairly extreme, but the sentiments of anxiety are not. A lot of us are, simply put, struggling to keep it together as we look to end the year on a high note. Perhaps some of you have already gone through this experience and know how to cope. For others, however, this may be their first time burdened with so many forces of stress at one time.

Although grades obviously are important to our future success, especially for those who are close to applying for jobs, I think it is imperative for everyone to remember one key message: that everyone should not sacrifice their happiness and well being just to do well in these last few weeks.

Obviously, there is undeniable short term stress that we all must deal with. However, to drive yourself so hard that you cannot take any joy in life is so harmful. Pushing yourself to the brink leads to the high probability of destroying your mental and physical health. Sure, those extreme methods may work for a few days, but it is simply not sustainable and worth the risk of something far more important in your life.

Think about it: from 10, 20, 50 years from now, will you really be caring about how you got a C instead of a B in your Biology class, nonetheless, remember it?

Don't take my thoughts and think that you should not try your best on your future exams and essays. However, keep in mind what's important at the same time. You'll thank yourself at the end of the tunnel.