Why I'm Majoring In Mental Health
Mental Health

Mental Health Matters To Me, So I'm Getting A Degree In It

Take care of yourself, and don't be afraid to be a little selfish at times.

327
smiling girl on christmas morning
Lauren Trimble

Whenever I tell someone that I'm planning on getting my degree in social work/psychology, usually the first question that they ask me is, "Why?" That seems like an easy enough question, but I'm going into this field for many different reasons.

Becoming a therapist has been my career goal for a very long time. I started going to therapy about two years ago, and it's such a great way to strengthen the relationship that you have with yourself and others. My therapist is an amazing person who helps me to work on life stuff; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I want to be that person for other people.

Going to therapy is a wonderful investment of your time. I want to give that chance for self-discovery to those who seek it out. I am sure that if more people went, then everyone could be a little bit more understanding of one another. A lot of the world has a very stigmatized perception of mental health/mental illness.

It's something that people have avoided talking about for so long that it has, unfortunately, become a taboo topic.

One of my goals is to help to take away that stigma. By pursuing a degree in this area of study, I hope to bring a positive change in people's lives, but also to shine a positive light on the mental health community. I've always viewed myself as a very empathetic person. If you were to ask someone who knows me to describe me, I would be willing to bet that "empathetic" would be on the list. I've always prided myself on this, and to use that to help others in their personal lives, would be a reward in itself.

Making others feel OK with themselves in times of difficulty is a very needed practice, in my opinion.

Obviously, I know that not everyone is going to look at my field of study as something that is necessary, or in some cases, it may even be laughable. But, I'm OK with this because I know that usually, the people who make fun/mock are usually the ones that need the help the most.

I've always felt that I need to do something with my life that makes me feel that I'm making a positive impact on the world.

What better way to make an impact is there than to make life easier for people that you may not even know personally, and often times, you don't?

Taking care of your mental health is just as important as taking care of your physical health. Many people try to convince themselves that taking care of yourself, setting boundaries, and making time specifically for mental health is selfish. This may be true, but I believe that being selfish is not only important but necessary at times.

I've always appreciated the quote, "You can't pour from an empty cup. Take care of yourself." This really embodies what I am trying to accomplish with my life and career. As I begin this new journey, I look forward to discovering more about myself, and to begin to make a positive impact in the lives of others. Take care of each other, you won't ever regret it.