how to reduce with menstrual cramps

13 Ways To Deal With Your Menstruation Frustration

Aunt Flo, "Being on the rag," "Riding the crimson tide" — Whatever you call your period, there are ways to get through it.

378
pad with sequins on it

This list is dedicated to everyone who has been affected by a period. No, I'm not talking about punctuation. I'm talking about menstruation. In a world where nearly half the population has gone through this process, periods should not be a taboo topic. As a matter of fact, your mother's blood is what kept you alive in her womb! It is a perfectly natural thing and truly a beautiful process. Despite this, I'd be lying if I said that menstruation wasn't a pain sometimes. (Ha. Get it?) To make it easier, here are some tips on surviving your "shark week."

1. Eat Healthy

I know, I know. That's the last thing you want to do. A majority of people crave junk food on their period. Unfortunately, this type of food isn't going to help you. Put away the ice cream and chips, and try eating a salad. Dark, leafy greens are a great source of iron which is something you need due to all of the blood your losing in menstruation. Try to avoid dairy at all costs because it can even intensify the pain you feel during the cramps.

2. It's OK To Sneak Some Chocolate

HALLELUJAH! Right? Chocolate is actually fantastic to eat on your period. Studies show that chocolate can reduce stress, pain from menstrual cramps, and can even boost your mood. It's a total win-win situation! However, if you're looking for a more healthy alternative: dark chocolate works just as well.

3. Try Exercising

"Is this a list of period tips or nutritional tips?" Believe it or not, the way you're supposed to treat your body normally is pretty similar to how you're supposed to treat it during your period. Exercising can help reduce pain from cramps, boost your mood, and even reduce the length of your period. Sign me up!

4. Heating Pads For Cramps

If you're anything like me, cramps are the worst part of your period. Luckily enough, putting a heating pad on your lower abdomen can reduce the pain tremendously. You can buy one from a lot of stores or you can make a D.I.Y. heating pad like the one here. But if you're unable to get your hands on one or make one yourself, a nice kitty laying on your tummy works just as well.

5. Try Pickle Juice

Yes! You read that correctly. Drinking pickle juice is good at restoring electrolytes and easing cramps. The sodium in the juice helps your body hydrate. It's also been said that pickle juice can temporarily lighten your period. But if sipping on some sour pickle juice doesn't sound appetizing, I'm sure just eating the pickles would work just as well.

6. Watch Funny YouTube Videos

I'm an emotional wreck during my time of the month. I know I'm not the only one though. To keep my spirits high, I watch videos to make me laugh. I'll spend my days watching Vine compilations and they never seem to get old. I do like to switch it up though and watch some of my favorite YouTubers like Danny and Arin from Game Grumps, Jenna Marbles, Cristine from Simply Nailogical, or Amber Scholl. They never fail to put a smile on my face.

7. Use A Menstrual Cup

Most people use pads and tampons, but maybe you should try switching to menstrual cups. Menstrual cups are supposedly more hygienic, more comfortable, and reusable. Also, you can keep a menstrual cup in for longer amounts of time than tampons. When you use a tampon, you run the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome. With menstrual cups, there is little to no risk of this. Before you make the switch, be sure to do your research on what works best for you.

8. Use A Period Tracker App

If you scroll through your app store, you can find several apps that can help you track your period. After inputting your period for the first time, your app should be able to predict when your next period will be. No more surprises and no more ruined undies! One of the top recommended period tracking apps is Flo. It even has a pregnancy mode.

9. Know How To Get Stains Out

Teen Vogue goes super in depth about how exactly to remove period stains and how to avoid them. It's definitely worth the read if you catch yourself having mini funerals for your cutest panties while your "Aunt Flo" is in town.

10. Invest In Some Comfortable Underwear

Break out those granny panties with NO shame! Not only is it nice to be comfortable when you're on your period, this way you also don't ruin your cute panties. Score!

11. Take Medication Ahead Of Time

Don't wait to take pain relievers until your cramps have become unbearable. Take them as soon as you start to notice any amount of pain. It's likely they're going to become worse. Taking the medicine ahead of time will make it easier on you.

12. Get On Birth Control

Birth control isn't strictly used as a contraceptive anymore. Frequently, birth control pills can cause periods to become more regular, lighter, and shorter. People of all ages take it. While some doctors require a pelvic exam to get put on birth control, some don't. It just depends on who you go to.

13. Don't Let The Haters Get You Down

Don't let anyone convince you that you're gross for having a period. It's a completely normal process that's nothing to be ashamed of.

Your menstrual cycle is your business. Don't be ashamed of it. It's not gross. It's not weird. Periods aren't always as pleasant as tampon commercials make them look. By doing a little bit of research on tips and hacks for getting through your period, you can still make the best out of a bad situation.