Memorial Day Is More Than Hot Dogs And Hamburgers

It is so much more than that.
5

Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military.Many Americans observe Memorial Day by visiting cemeteries or memorials, holding family gatherings and participating in parades. Unfortunately, I have seen recently people posting that Memorial Day is more than national Barbecue day and I couldn't agree more.

Memorial Day was started after the Civil War as Dedication Day.The Civil War, which ended in the spring of 1865, claimed more lives than any conflict in U.S. history and required the establishment of the country’s first national cemeteries.On May 5, 1868, General John A. Logan, leader of an organization for Northern Civil War veterans, called for a nationwide day of remembrance later that month. “The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village and hamlet churchyard in the land,” he proclaimed. it wasn't until after World War I that Memorial Day evolved to celebrate all fallen heroes.

Growing up I didn't understand the difference between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day so when i would see the veterans outside the store with poppies i would say thank you and one memorial day a veteran told me that day wasn't for him but for his brother, he could tell i was confused so he took a picture of his brother out and said that they entered together but only he came back. That day was when i understood the importance of Memorial Day. So this Memorial Day when you are gathered with your family and friends celebrating that you don't have school or if you're lucky your day off from work take a moment to remember the true reason behind your day off.