Melania Trump Introduces Her "Be Best" Agenda

The First Lady's initiative during her husband's term focuses on children and social media.
259

On May 7, Melania Trump unveiled her platform as First Lady during a speech in the White House Rose Garden. Unlike many First Ladies before her, Mrs. Trump's initiative is not narrowed down to a single issue but focuses broadly on helping children. Her original platform was based on combatting cyberbullying, but after the consideration of her husband's presence on social media, she was advised against it.

The main objective of the First Lady's platform, titled "Be Best", is to promote the social and emotional well-being of children. Mrs. Trump provided an outline of the initiative with three pillars of which included physical and emotional health, the responsible use of social media, and the effects of the opioid crisis on children.

Over the past year, Melania Trump has stayed out of the public eye, making her launch of Be Best her most visible and impactful action in the White House so far. A major part of her initiative contrasts with her husband's presence online. President Trump is known for his rants and controversial posts on Twitter, that have even included phrases such as "The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People! " and, "If NFL fans refuse to go to games until players stop disrespecting our Flag & Country, you will see change take place fast. Fire or suspend! ".

Aside from social media, the First Lady is also focusing on drug abuse. She plans to address the opioid crisis by bringing attention to "neonatal abstinence syndrome, and help educate parents on the importance of healthy pregnancies."

After Melania Trump's speech unveiling how to plans to take action, the President signed a "Be Best" proclamation, establishing May 7 as Be Best Day.