No, Meghan Markle Is Not The Face Of Hope For Black Women
Politics

Just like how Kendall Jenner and her can of Pepsi aren't hope for the Black Lives Matter movement.

5586
White House

Who doesn't love a great wedding? Especially a ROYAL wedding. I mean, as a kid, I remember watching TLC specials and the live airing of Prince William's marriage to Kate Middleton. I used to watch specials of Princess Diana's wedding and be in awe because her dress was every woman's dream. I mean look at it:

Sure, it's a little out-dated, but the concept is important, haha. The big, ostentatious wedding, the expensive wedding dress with a long train, and most importantly, getting married to your very own Prince Charming.

So when I heard there was going to be another royal wedding, I was intrigued, obviously. And not to mention, it was to Meghan Markle. I always thought she was an amazing actress, so of course, I did some snooping about the soon-to-be-married couple.

What I noticed, is that throughout the course of the announcement of the engagement, certain people were having a problem with this couple, and weren't afraid to let it be known on social media. You can literally see people calling Harry a disgrace and Meghan a "nigger." This engagement definitely exposed the fact that many in Britain (and sadly, America) are still set in their segregated and racist ways. See here:

Ahhh, the sweet smell of support. Don't you just love it?

No, but seriously, what is wrong with some people? What really makes me sad is that this was probably some of the same backlashes that Markle went through in her life because of her biracial identity.

I would like to point out, though, that not everyone was as nasty as these people were. In fact, a lot of people were rejoicing. And I'm glad. Because yes, it would be the first time since the beginning of British history that a woman of color is going to be in the royal family. And I'm so happy about that, because hey, we're making new leaps to a more progressive society.

But some people just took it a little too far.

I read an article last night saying that Meghan Markle is the face of "hope" for black women, not only in the United Kingdom but everywhere. The article claims that many of us miss Michelle Obama for her representation and that Meghan Markle is a good figure to take her place.

While I do agree, that Meghan Markle's engagement is a big deal, especially since it's breaking boundaries, I don't think she is the face of hope and I don't think she should be compared to Michelle Obama. It's one thing to have a white-passing, biracial woman of color in a position of high-power and it's another thing to have a fully-black woman in that same position.

Though I know Meghan Markle has been through various hardships in her life because of her race, I also know that no one would know she was black, unless she told them.

Again, she's white-passing.

And because she's white-passing, she still has more power than a fully-black woman ever would.

I honestly doubt a dark, black woman (or any other woman of color, for that matter) would end up being in the royal family. And it's not because I'm bashing us, or saying that we're unworthy of being in such a high position. I'm saying that because the facts clearly show so many people were ganging up in Meghan Markle for her colored-identity... and she's still HALF WHITE.

Representation does matter, which is why Michelle Obama was such a diligent, strong, and proactive first lady. And I know that Meghan Markle will be an amazing princess. But little black girls in Britain aren't going to look at Meghan Markle and say, "wow, I could be like her one day" because Meghan Markle just doesn't look like them.

In fact, she's instilling subconscious fear in their hearts. They'll think that in order to find their "prince charming" or in order to be a woman of high power in society, they need to be partially white.

And this, my friends, is where the heart of this article is. Because even though we have amazing, strong black females like Zendaya, Yara Shahidi, and Beyonce, they are still either "mixed" black women or "light-skinned" black women.

We need more black women in the media and we need more black women in high positions of power. The few that we have simply are not enough.

And for those few that we do have, I want people to stop hating on them for being dark-skinned and having clear African characteristics. Stop calling dark people of color ugly. Stop calling our natural hair ugly. Stop calling our noses and lips ugly.

Stop calling us "niggers" and stop calling us your "niggas." And yes, there is a difference. And yes, those words should not be coming out of your mouth.

I know I just went on a whole rant at the very end, but that stuff gets to me, man. These little black girls and boys are growing up in a society that praises them if they're going to be an athlete or a rapper and hypersexualizes them at such a young age, but that same society does not really value who they truly are as people.

Because yes, black people have some representation but only if it's how the rest of the world wants us to be portrayed.

So no, Meghan Markle does not give us "hope". She, does, however, make us realize that just because someone is biracial, that doesn't mean they're not going to be subject to the same racism that fully black people hear every day.

With that being said, it also makes us realize that these biracial people are still our brothers and sisters, regardless of if they're half Asian, half white, half Indian, or whatever. We all need to come together to join the fight and uplift each other in breaking through the racism that still plagues our society.