Rank 'Em: Megadeth Albums

Rank 'Em: Megadeth Albums

Megadeth is one of the most influential bands of all time and are still making great music to this day

2240
Rank 'Em: Megadeth Albums
blogspot.com

Megadeth really began against all odds. Dave Mustaine was kicked out of Metallica and just so happened to meet Dave Ellefson and they decided to start the band Megadeth. From the beginning Megadeth was faster and heavier than Metallica. Over time though, Megadeth retained their heaviness, but adopted more mature lyrical themes that were vital to the band's evolution. Megadeth has really been an amazing model of consistency in thrash metal and have made a whopping fifteen studio albums. This longevity makes this band the most impressive in the thrash metal genre. Now, it is time for me to attempt to rank their fantastic discography from worst to best.

Overall Scoring Scale:

0-20: Garbage

21-40: Poor

41-49: Below Average

50-60: Average

61-74: Above Average

75-89: Good

90-100: Must Own

15. 'Risk'

Year: 1999

Total Length: 51:34

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine - lead and rhythm guitars, lead vocals / Marty Friedman - lead and rhythm guitars / David Ellefson - bass, backing vocals / Jimmy DeGrasso - drums

Risk was a risk for Megadeth that really did not pay off. The album is very dull and awkward to hear a thrash metal band try for an alternative rock sound. Risk is not entirely bad but it is a struggle to listen to, because it is a boring listen that is very monotonous. This album is not bad because it is not a metal album. It is bad because it is an uninspired effort from the band that lacked creativity and focus.

Production: 13 / 20

Album Flow: 6 / 20

Song Writing: 15 / 60

Overall Score: 34 / 100

14. 'Super Collider'

Year: 2013

Total Length: 45:14

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – lead vocals, lead, rhythm, acoustic guitar and slide guitars / Chris Broderick – lead, rhythm, acoustic guitars and backing vocals / David Ellefson – bass guitar and backing vocals / Shawn Drover – drums, percussion

This is another misguided effort by Megadeth to get on mainstream rock radio and man did it fail. These songs are really dull and lack so much creativity. Basically every song uses the same formula of catchy choruses and lazy song writing. Other than "Kingmaker," this album is really lackluster in every way.

Production: 15 / 20

Album Flow: 8 / 20

Song Writing: 14 / 60

Overall Score: 37 / 100

13. 'The World Needs a Hero'

Year: 2001

Total Length: 57:49

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – lead guitar, rhythm guitar, lead vocals / David Ellefson – bass guitar. backing vocals / Jimmy DeGrasso – drums / Al Pitrelli – lead guitar, rhythm guitar, backing vocals

This album was definitely an improvement over Risk, but the album felt pretty boring and mundane after a couple listens. Only a couple of tracks like "Dread and the Fugitive Mind" really stick with you from this record. Megadeth may have gotten back to their heavier roots with this record, but lacked the creativity to deliver an album with very much substance.

Production: 13 / 20

Album Flow: 9 / 20

Song Writing: 26 / 60

Overall Score: 48 / 100

12. 'Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good!'

Year: 1985

Total Length: 31:10

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – lead vocals, rhythm and lead guitar / Chris Poland – lead guitar / David Ellefson – bass guitar, backing vocals / Gar Samuelson – drums

I know that it is blasphemy for me to put this influential and often considered thrash metal masterpiece this low on the list, but I am going to be honest and say that I have never been a huge fan of this album. There are some insane guitar riffs and some pretty cool song structures, but lyrically and production wise, this album is pretty weak.

Production: 6 / 20

Album Flow: 16 / 20

Song Writing: 35 / 60

Overall Score: 57 / 100

11. 'So Far, So Good... So What!'

Year: 1988

Total Length: 34:26

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – lead vocals, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar / David Ellefson – bass guitar, backing vocals / Jeff Young – lead guitar, rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar / Chuck Behler – drums, percussion

This album has some really good early thrash metal songs on it, but it is a very inconsistent record from start to finish. Many of the songs feel like forced aggression from Dave Mustaine and are heavy for the sake of being heavy. "Set the World Afire" and "In My Darkest Hour" are both standouts.

Production: 8 / 20

Album Flow: 13 / 20

Song Writing: 38 / 60

Overall Score: 59 / 100

10. 'Th1rt3en'

Year: 2011

Total Length: 57:36

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – lead vocals, lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars / Chris Broderick – lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars, backup vocals / David Ellefson – bass guitar, backup vocals / Shawn Drover – drums, percussion and backup vocals

This album may have a lot of recycled material from over the years, but it does not change the fact that this album is a very interesting and pretty effective one. "Public Enemy No. 1" is one of Megadeth's catchiest songs to date and Chris Broderick definitely shows what he is made of on many of these tracks.

Production: 17 / 20

Album Flow: 13 / 20

Song Writing: 43 / 60

Overall Score: 73 / 100

9. 'Cryptic Writings'

Year: 1997

Total Length: 46:44

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – lead and rhythm guitars, lead vocals / David Ellefson – bass guitar, backing vocals / Marty Friedman – lead and rhythm guitars, backing vocals / Nick Menza – drums

Cryptic Writings is an album with mixed reception. I personally enjoy this record even though Megadeth changed their sound to more of a hard rock sound that definitely has a mainstream sound to it. Other than "Trust", there really are not any other Megadeth classics on this album, but this album is consistently enjoyable from start to finish.

Production: 15 / 20

Album Flow: 15 / 20

Song Writing: 44 / 60

Overall Score: 74 / 100

8. 'Youthanasia'

Year: 1994

Total Length: 49:57

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – vocals, rhythm guitar, lead guitar / Marty Friedman – lead guitar, rhythm guitar / David Ellefson – bass / Nick Menza – drums

Youthanasia is a really good record that has no weak tracks. This was Megadeth's first record that really had more of a traditional heavy metal influence over their former thrash metal sound. Tracks like "A Toute le Monde," "Addicted to the Chaos", and "Reckoning Day" are all Megadeth classics.

Production: 18 / 20

Album Flow: 17 / 20

Song Writing: 52 / 60

Overall Score: 87 / 100

7. 'The System Has Failed'

Year: 2004

Total Length: 48:24

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – lead and rhythm guitars, lead vocals

Session Members:

Chris Poland – lead guitar on all tracks except "I Know Jack", "Truth Be Told" and "The Scorpion" / Jimmie Lee Sloas – bass / Vinnie Colaiuta – drums

This was a return to form for Megadeth despite the fact that Dave Mustaine was the only permanent member of the band. Thanks to this Dave had the freedom to write whatever music and lyrics he wanted. The end result was very impressive showing with a lot of quality material.

Production: 18 / 20

Album Flow: 17 / 20

Song Writing: 53 / 60

Overall Score: 88 / 100

6. 'United Abominations'

Year: 2007

Total Length: 47:56

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – vocals, lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars / Glen Drover – lead, rhythm, acoustic guitars and backing vocals / James LoMenzo – bass and backing vocals / Shawn Drover – drums, percussion and backing vocals

United Abominations continued Megadeth's trend up during the 2000's. This album has some very impressive guitar work, political themes, and has a thrash metal oriented sound as well. This album continued to prove that Megadeth was not on their way out of the metal scene, but was rather on top.

Production: 18 / 20

Album Flow: 18 / 20

Song Writing: 53 / 60

Overall Score: 89 / 100

5. 'Endgame'

Year: 2009

Total Length: 44:42

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – lead vocals, lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars / Chris Broderick – lead, rhythm, and acoustic guitars / James LoMenzo – bass / Shawn Drover – drums

Endgame was Megadeth's most technical and complex album since Rust in Peace when it first came out in 2009. The addition of Chris Broderick was huge for this band because he was able to play basically anything Dave asked him to. This is one the thrashiest album's in Megadeth's entire discography.

Production: 18 / 20

Album Flow: 18 / 20

Song Writing: 53 / 60

Overall Score: 89 / 100

4. 'Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?'

Year: 1986

Total Length: 36:12

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – lead vocals, rhythm and lead guitars / Chris Poland – lead and rhythm guitars / David Ellefson – bass guitar, backing vocals / Gar Samuelson – drums

Peace Sells is arguably Megadeth's best album, but for me it does not quite reach that top spot. The guitar work and song structures on this album are phenomenal. Other than the cover, this album is basically perfect. "Peace Sells" and "Wake Up Dead" are both top ten Megadeth tracks.

Production: 16 / 20

Album Flow: 19 / 20

Song Writing: 59 / 60

Overall Score: 94 / 100

3. 'Dystopia'

Year: 2016

Total Length: 46:51

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – lead vocals, lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars / Kiko Loureiro – lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars and backing vocals / David Ellefson – bass guitar and backing vocals / Chris Adler – drums

I think that Dystopia is the heaviest and most well produced album Megadeth has ever had. The songs are all good except for the cover of "Foreign Policy." I really love the title track, "Post American World," and "The Threat Is Real." These will all be viewed as thrash metal classics in ten to twenty years. It's amazing what an old guy like Dave Mustaine can do.

Production: 20 / 20

Album Flow: 19 / 20

Song Writing: 55 / 60

Overall Score: 94 / 100

2. 'Countdown to Extinction'

Year: 1992

Total Length: 47:26

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – rhythm guitar, lead guitar, lead vocals / David Ellefson – bass guitar, backing vocals / Marty Friedman – lead guitar, rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, backing vocals / Nick Menza – drums, backing vocals

Was there any doubt that this album would be near the top? Countdown to Extinction is full of classics like "Symphony of Destruction," "Sweating Bullets," and the phenomenal title track. This album definitely slowed down to more of a groove based sound with this record, but that does not make it any worse than the band's thrash metal material.

Production: 20 / 20

Album Flow: 19 / 20

Song Writing: 56 / 60

Overall Score: 95 / 100

1. "Rust in Peace"

Year: 1990

Total Length: 40:44

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – Lead vocals, rhythm guitar, lead guitar / David Ellefson – Bass guitar, backing vocals / Marty Friedman – Lead guitar, rhythm guitar / Nick Menza – Drums, backing vocals

Rust in Peace is not only Megadeth's best album, but it also may just be the best thrash metal album in history. With tracks like "Hangar 18," "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due," and "Tornado of Souls," this album was able to take the metal scene by storm. This album is basically perfect from start to finish.

Production: 20 / 20

Album Flow: 20 / 20

Song Writing: 60 / 60

Overall Score: 100 / 100