Meeting My Soul Dog

Meeting My Soul Dog

Everyone should get to experience what it is like to meet their soul dog.

108
Meeting My Soul Dog
Olivia Gudewich

Right after I graduated college, I knew that I did not want to go back home. I wanted to continue to live by my own rules and do my own thing. So, what better way to say "I am independent" than getting a dog? The thing is, I always wanted my own dog, but was scared to get one because I knew that my parents would not approve. After college, I lived with a couple of roommates and one day we decided to go to the animal shelter, just for fun. When we got there, I walked around looking at the dogs and puppies but none of them really spoke to me enough to want to take them out. My roommate wanted to play with one of the pups, so we took him out to the play room. I never thought that January 2nd, 2014 would be the day that I met my soul dog...but it was. The shelter called him Bruce and he came into the room and ran so fast that his puppy legs were flailing all over the place as he tried to jump into my lap. In that moment, I knew that I needed to take this dog home. I put him on hold and got all of my ducks in a row with my landlord, and the next day, I brought Bruce home. I called my mom and told her that I adopted a dog and I could literally hear her eyes roll as she sighed and said "so, I guess this means you are not coming home".

After a few months with Bruce, whose name I changed to Tucker, I realized just how financially dumb I was. I was working for a restaurant that ended up closing abruptly, and I found myself in a pickle. I had $20 left in my bank account and I remember calling my mom and asking her how many PBR's I could buy with that. All I could think of was, how am I going to feed Tucker. Thankfully, I found another job very quickly, and was able to continue to pay rent. Slowly but surely, I was starting to rebuild my savings account, and then I would take Tucker to the vet...

My mom always told me that dogs were expensive, but I think I just never really believed her. So naturally, whenever Tucker's vet bills came, I would call her and ask her why she never told me that dogs were so expensive (just to get under her skin a little). Looking back, I remember thinking that I wished I had been more responsible and actually thought about getting a dog more than I did because a lot of times, I felt guilty that I was not taking care of Tucker the way I could be. "If only I made more money, if only I could buy him this toy, if only I could buy him this jacket" were the thoughts I always had. But I realize now that Tucker had way more that he ever would have in the shelter. He had a warm bed, food, dog friends, human friends, treats, and toys. If I hadn't adopted him, he probably would have been euthanized (he was fostered 3 different times and brought back to the shelter within his first five months of life).

I honestly look at Tucker and wonder why no one wanted him. I wonder why he was fostered and taken back 3 times to the shelter. And then I know it is because he and I were made for each other. Just like soul mates (if you believe in that kind of thing), he is my soul dog, and I cannot imagine my life without him now that I have him and he has me.

There is a sign in a lot of dog stores that reads "I work hard so that my dog can have a better life" and I feel like that is so relevant to Tucker and I. I work hard to give him what he needs because he is the one who saved me that day in the shelter. I know, I know, that is so cliche, but honestly it is so true. Tucker taught me how to be an adult. He taught me how to care for something other than myself. He taught me that no matter how hard things get in your life, there is always a dog to cuddle with. When I come home from work, stressed as all get out, Tucker reads me right away and knows when I need to be smothered with kisses and hugs. He always has me laughing with his dopiness, and cuddles with me when I cry.

Adopting Tucker was one of the hardest lessons that I learned (and still am learning), but also one of the best.