Meet Winthrop's New Homecoming King TyQuan Butler

Get to know this year's homecoming king.

33
Anna Gilreath

On November 12, senior Winthrop student TyQuan Butler was announced Homecoming King at halftime of the men's basketball vs. Ferrum College game. The men's basketball team took home the win 66-47. Senior Winthrop mass communications major Janay Reece was announced Homecoming Queen.

Heavily involved and well-known on Winthrop's campus, Butler rightfully won the title.

Check out his Q/A below:

Shakora Bamberg: Tell me about your role at Winthrop including any leadership roles, recognition, and positions you hold as a student at WU.

TyQuan Butler: I'm a senior social work major, I am a member of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia fraternity, former (2015-2016) president, and former social chair (2014-2015), member of Winthrop University Chorale, former singer with the Winthrop University Chamber, Winthrop NAACP Vice President of Creative & Active Engagement and Program and Research Chair, Project Middle Ground Mentor and a member of Winthrop University’s Visible.

SB: Of all the roles (you mentioned above), what has been the most important that has shaped you into a better young man?

TB: I don’t believe that one organization has shaped me more than any other, all of my organizations have taught me valuable life lessons that I will carry on with me as long as I live. I wouldn’t be the man I am without all of these groups and organizations.

SB: How does it feel to be this year's Homecoming King?

TB: It is honestly one of the most amazing feelings. The love I have felt cannot be explained. Homecoming week truly showed me how much support I have on campus and that people pay attention to the things that I do. It just felt amazing to know that win or lose, I had the love and support of so many! A truly spectacular feeling.

SB: What is one thing that you love about Winthrop and why did you choose WU?

TB: I actually started out a music major, and that is what drew me to Winthrop in the first place. The Music building was full of amazing people and the choir was phenomenal. I knew from the moment I stepped on this campus and heard them sing that this is where I wanted to go to school.

SB: What is your favorite spot on campus?

TB: This is going to sound weird but it’s actually the stairwell inside of the music conservatory. Late nights when I was upset, I would go into the conservatory and sit in the stairwell and just sing. It’s a very calming place and the sounds that can be made in that small area are absolutely beautiful.

SB: When did you realize that you wanted to go into the field of study? Where did this passion come from?

TB: I realized this junior year. I was not happy with where I was in my music major so I decided to take a social work class. I took a class with Dr. Sellers and fell in love with all the possibilities of a social worker. I have loved every moment of it since.

I have had many people in my life that have guided me and molded me. That is the kind of person that I want to become, my plan is to become a school counselor so that I will have that amazing pleasure of being a mentor to someone or helping to guide someone.

SB: Who do you look up to within the professional career of which you are pursuing?

TB: In high school, I had a mentor named Napoleon Bradford. He was a guidance counselor and also the head of the after-school program. He is a very important factor when it comes to why I want to be a school counselor. He inspired me to go further and work harder.

SB: How did Winthrop courses and internships help you prepare for this role?

TB: Social work classes prepared me. Our classes are very open and interactive and that hands-on experience and also the lectures make sure that we cover every basis that is needed.

SB: What educator do you look up to as it relates to your career?

TB: Dr. Wendy Sellers. Without her showing her love for social work and wearing it on her sleeve, I’m not sure I would have been as inspired to change my major. She definitely helped to guide me into making such a major change. She is one of the sweetest people I know and certainly someone to look up to.

SB: Who is your role model or mentor?

TB: Goodness, I have had so many role models. I’ll have to list them out.

• Cameron Benton -- One of the first upperclassmen I met at Winthrop. He had the kindest heart and I truly aspire to be as great of a guy as him.
  • Katherine Kinsey -- Head of the choral department. She is also someone that I look up to. No matter what life threw at her, she got through it, and today, she helps her students and is almost like a second mother to many.
  • Patricia Riley -- I feel as if Patricia doesn’t get all of the credit she deserves. She handles so many things at once. It is amazing that she can handle so much responsibility with grace!!

SB: What is a fun interesting fact about you?

TB: I lost most of my sense of smell in a golf cart accident in high school and it never fully came back. Not that interesting, but I think it’s kind of cool.

SB: What advice would you give to the freshman class especially the young men entering the same career path as you?

TB: Work hard, keep your mind open, care about others, and to never let where you are from determining where you are going.

SB: How would you tell these young men how to best prepare for college?

TB: Use ALL of the resources that Winthrop offers. We have so many things here set in place so that everyone can be successful, get your money’s worth from this school!

SB: What are your long-term career goals?

TB: So far my career goal is simply to be a school counselor. That is truly where I could see myself for my entire life.

SB: When you’re not busy with school and working, what do you like to do for fun?

TB: I sing day in and day out! That is my fun! Don’t get me wrong I enjoy going out with my friends and hitting the city, but there’s nothing like that one-on-one time with a piano and a quiet room.

SB: You have one more semester at Winthrop. Tell us what you like about Winthrop, why did you choose this college?

TB: I love the environment. Winthrop has some of the nicest faculty, staff, and students! Everywhere you go there are smiling faces and people working hard for their degrees. This is a campus of leaders and ground shakers and I am proud to be one of them.