The Media Has Demonized Pit Bulls And I'm Here To Set The Record Straight

The misconceptions of pit bulls and their aggression.

83
@Laurenhowze

Dogs are some of the best of friends that anyone can have, they always know how to make you smile even if you don’t want to. No matter what kind of dog you choose to own though, someone will always have an opinion about it. However, one dog, has the worst reputation of them all and that is a pit bull.

The reputation of pit bulls has deteriorated over the years from humans breeding these dogs to become aggressive and fight each other for money. Pit bulls were originally known as being ‘nanny’ dogs because they were so gentle and caring for their owners. Anyone who owns a pit bull knows that this is still true to this day and that they aren’t as aggressive as they are made out to be.

I’m not saying that they aren’t aggressive breeds or anything, but ninety percent of the time that they are is because they feel threatened in some shape or form. They are one of the most loyal dogs known to man and will do absolutely anything to protect the ones they love. But just because they are an aggressive breed doesn’t mean that aggression is always used wrongly or that they aim to hurt anyone.

I, personally, own both a German Shepherd named Ava and a pit bull named Bentley. Bentley is the more gentle and calm dog, whereas Ava is the hyper and aggressive dog. I feel that any dog can be aggressive if it's not trained correctly or even well taken care of, it's not a breed thing at all.

Pit bulls have this reputation also because their bite is like no other, they have a bite force stronger than all breeds, even stronger than German Shepherds. However, when it comes down to it, Ava is the one more prone to fight and start fights with other dogs just because she feels threatened in some way.

Bentley is the one that makes friends with all dogs, but as soon as he feels like his loved ones, even Ava, are threatened then he'll show aggression. But that's the only time he has any sort of aggression or has a reason to use it. He’s just like all pits, which are loyal to their owner and family, but most people will never realize that until they own one themselves.

People are scared of this breed because of the media and the stories of pit bulls attacking people. But sadly, all dogs are capable of hurting people, pit bulls can just hurt them worse. This breed has become aggressive because in the past dog fighters would do selective breeding to make them this way. They felt that doing this, would not only make them more aggressive but also help them to win their fights and the money that comes along with it.

Any dog and any breed can be aggressive, but it all boils down to how the owner treats them and teaches them how to act. I believe that that the world just needs to step back and give them a chance because they are truly missing out on this beautiful, compassionate breed.