Media I'm Excited For In 2020

Media I'm Excited For In 2020

All the books, shows, movies, and productions I can't wait for next year.

792
Media I'm Excited For In 2020

2019 had some great shows, movies, and books, from Stranger Things season 3 to Avengers: Endgame. 2020 better step it up to beat that.

Here are some of the coming media releases I anticipate the most to start off the new decade.

1. Greta - 2020

https://therising.co/2019/10/31/greta-thunberg-rejects-environmental-award-demands-climate-action-instead/

Greta Thungberg is a 16-year-old climate activist from Sweden. Greta has given speeches urging policy changes at the UN, climate protests, and other political events.

Although she is Time's Person of the Year 2019 and recipient of other prestigious awards, Greta rejects these awards as mere performative environmentalism rather than actual action. She's a major role model and influence to myself. When Hulu announced they would be producing a documentary about the activist to stream in 2020 I already couldn't wait to learn more about her.

2. Manifest Season 2 - January 13th

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/manifest-season-2-trailer-new-york-comic-con

I heard buzz around this series before the first season aired in 2018. The plane themed unexplained mystery investigation show has some obvious similarities to the hit ABC series Lost.

Lost is one of my favorite shows of all time and I've been dying to watch something as riveting since. So far, Manifest has really impressed me. The mystery raveled in more mystery had me binge watching as fast as I could. I've been dying to see if this franchise continues to build upon the success of the first season ever since. Guess I'll find out in 2020.

3. A Quiet Place 2 - March 20th

https://nerdist.com/article/a-quiet-place-part-2-first-teaser/

The first Quiet Place had me on the edge of my seat, cover my eyes, and almost screaming at the characters as if they could hear me. It was great. It also ended on a great note to carry right into a sequel so I'm not worried that this next installment will be grasping for straws.

I don't think I could handle a horror movie in theaters but I will make my roommates watch this with me as soon as I can.

Watch the teaser trailer here.

4. James Charles Instant Influencer - Spring

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/james-charles-to-host-youtubes-first-beauty-influencer-competition-series-1203406378/

In November 2019 YouTuber and social media beauty influencer James Charles announced he plans to create an online reality competition centered around makeup. There's no exact date yet but James did say the series will be available completely free online which excites me even more.

This will most likely be the first YouTube competition series of such a large scale. I'm expecting professional studio settings, wild personalities, and amazing makeup looks.

For now I'm watching casting call videos uploaded by fans hoping to get casted and win the $50,000 prize.

5. Black Widow - May 1st

https://hnentertainment.co/marvels-solo-black-widow-movie-expected-to-shoot-scenes-in-hungary/

Fans have been dying for a Black Widow solo movie since the first Avengers came to theaters in 2012. This one has been a long time coming.

I'm nervous about how Marvel will treat a female lead since my friends and family told me Captain Marvel was so bad it's one of the only Marvel movies I haven't seen. And Black Widow's backstory has either been skipped over or shown poorly in ensemble movies she's featured in. Let's hope this spin-off does her justice in May 2020.

6. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes - May 19th

https://www.amazon.com/Ballad-Songbirds-Snakes-Hunger-Games/dp/1338635174

Suzanne Collins, author of The Hunger Games series, will publish a spin-off book set in the same world. This prequel takes place 64 years before the 74th Hunger Games. That means no Katniss, no Peeta, no Gale, no Buttercup the cat.

Besides knowing that the book spans over the time of the 10th Hunger Games we don't have much more detail yet. Fans theorize that The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes may feature Mags who won the 11th Hunger Games as a teenager, or President Snow who was 10-years-old during this time.

Although it'll probably focus on entirely new characters which gets me more interested than the same old same old.

7. Wonder Woman 1984 - June 4th

https://geektyrant.com/news/some-new-wonder-woman-1984-footage-has-screened-and-heres-a-description

The first Wonder Woman from 2017 blew me away. In a heavily oversaturated superhero genre that film stood out to me. Wonder Woman also impresses me as the only DC hero film I enjoy.

It has some of the best choreographed fights and Gal Gadot steals the show. She looks great in the trailer for Wonder Woman 1984 and I have high hopes from the same director Patty Jenkins.

8. In the Heights - June 26th

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/heights-trailer-lin-manuel-miranda-broadway-musical-movie-1261923

I listened to this musical years ago. After hearing Hamilton for the 20th time in a row I thought I needed a break so I turned to Lin-Manuel Miranda's other musical he wrote before Hamilton: In the Heights. I've never seen it on stage but I know that the music and lyrics sound exquisite.

It's snappy and fun. From the trailer the dancing, sets, and costumes look unique and playful as well. I'm looking forward to this summer musical. Hopefully Hamilton will get a movie adaptation next.