How the Olympics Can Set An Example For The Presidential Election

Strive for unity.

10
Unsplash

The Summer Olympics occur every four years, coinciding with the United States Presidential Election. For months, the presidential race has dominated the media, showing how divided our country can during times of national competition. Interrupting the nonstop election coverage across all forms of media is a breath of fresh air -- our lungs, as a collective nation, fill with admiration and inspiration as our eyes continue to look to the media at a different kind of competition.

For a moment, news anchors will be spewing out different names and, Hilary and Donald will watch alongside the rest of the country, as our athletes compete for gold. For once this summer, republicans and democrats will be able to watch the news together without an ensuing debate.

The logo of the Olympic Rings, which will detract from the famed donkey and elephant, at least for a short duration, expresses a symbolism we should keep in mind throughout the rest of the election season.The interlocking rings represent five continents coming together: the Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia. If we can unite as a world -- if even for a moment -- we should be able to unite as a country, respect each other's opinions, and work together to strive for our own sort of gold medal. We should aim to achieve universal human rights, we should strive for economic stability, we should desire political transparency. Though amidst the chaos of the presidential campaign these yearnings may sound naive, however, the Olympics provide an example of how difference can be set aside to achieve a common goal. Allied countries and enemies alike come together to celebrate athleticism, determination and our world.

So, as a much needed band-aid to heal our population's division, keep your TV on all week as Olympians grace your screen and offer a competition of revelry and communion. Come together not only as a nation, but as a world, and cheer for your favorite athletes. Because in a few short days, your television will once again be inundated with political propaganda.