“Measure Twice, Cut Once”

“Measure Twice, Cut Once”

Double-check one's measurements for accuracy before executing plans for a goal.

19
“Measure Twice, Cut Once”
Clem Onojeghuo

Have you ever had something planned, thought it through, but in execution, messed it up anyways?

“Measure twice, cut once” is a common precautionary saying in crafts (woodwork, glasswork, etc.) meant to ensure you don’t mess up by making an improper cut on your building materials.

This phrase can apply to so many aspects of our lives, especially when it comes to relationships, lifestyle choices and building your brand. In order to be successful, take all the necessary precautions to succeed the first time.

One should double-check one's measurements for accuracy before executing plans for a goal. Otherwise, it may be necessary to cut again, wasting time and material. We often find ourselves not "buying in" to our goals, because we turn them into conflicts.

Much of what we consider valuable in our world arises out of lopsided conflicts because the act of facing overwhelming odds produces greatness and beauty. And second, that we consistently get these kinds of conflicts wrong. We misread them. We misinterpret them. We christen challenges as obstacles, and the more doubt we give them the harder they are to overcome. We make tangible goals into intangible giants.

“When we see the giant, why do we automatically assume the battle is his for the winning?” We convince ourselves that our dreams are too big or what we want to accomplish is beyond our reach. Before we know it, we've given our problems strengths that they did not posses beforehand and set our dreams aside. Giants are not what we think they are. The same qualities that appear to give them strength are often the sources of great weakness.

In order to be successful take all the necessary precautions to succeed the first time. It can be the difference between clear communication and misinterpretation; it can help save a relationship or dissolve one; it can foster trust or create distrust; and, ultimately, it can prevent further problems for you. Take the extra time to proofread as well as to double-check your own perceptions and understanding of what is said, meant, and what you want. It is a small amount of time that is well-spent in the long run.