Mayor Joe Riley: The Citadel Man Who Made Charleston

"His regime will be studied for the next 200 years at least."

16
daretolead

Being from Chicago, I had very little knowledge of who Joe Riley was upon my arrival in Charleston. As a freshman at The Citadel, I learned he was the mayor of Charleston and a class of 1964 graduate of The Citadel. Over the last four years I have come to realize just what an incredible mayor he was, and beyond that, what an amazing man he has turned out to be.

Brian Hicks has written his story in his book, "The Mayor," and having the opportunity to hear him describe his time meeting with the mayor and developing the story was not a disappointment. He told how the mayor was one of the most driven, loyal men he has ever worked with. He spoke about how the mayor never coasted, not even in his final week in office. As someone who tends to let his foot off the gas near the end of anything, I was particularly inspired by this point.

Dr. Hicks told of the planned final day in office for Mayor Riley, and how the entire city staff was planning to line the street outside city hall and applaud him as he left as mayor for the last time. Mayor Riley was nowhere to be found at 5 p.m. because he was in his last meeting as mayor and it went long. The mayor never let up in his work, and even on his final day, he worked overtime. It shows the work ethic and commitment to excellence the mayor has. The way he saw it, he was there to serve the public, and serve them he would, all the way to the last. He never felt entitled and was well aware that he was the servant to the public and not the other way around.

The funny part of the story is that he did not plan on running for mayor, and even after he was elected, he told his wife he planned to be a one-term mayor. He ended up being elected 10 times, and he said he felt like he had to keep running over and over because there were so many projects that needed oversight and completion. Again, his hard working spirit and servant’s heart got the better of him.

Mayor Riley is also a man of character. He has spent 40 years in office and has managed to stay above reproach for the entire time. In our world of corrupt politicians and compromise, he rises above the crowd to a pedestal of his own. I had the opportunity to ask him what helped him to remain steadfast in protecting his honor and integrity. The first thing he pointed to was the four years he spent living under the strict honor code at The Citadel. He said he was never able to ignore it when he was about to make a decision. It was always in his mind, encouraging him to do what was right.

Mayor Riley truly upholds the values of The Citadel honor code and is a real Citadel man. I hope to someday command half the respect, honor, integrity and commitment to excellence he does. I have yet to meet anyone who has anything bad to say about Mayor Riley. There are probably some out there, but no doubt even they cannot deny the incredible leader and public servant he has been in his life.

Mayor Riley is now retired as mayor, but as Mr. Hicks stated, “he will be remembered and his regime will be studied for the next 200 years at least.” In addition, his work continues through the inspiration he provides to thousands of people both young and old, whether they wear the ring of The Citadel or not. He is one of the most amazing role models and inspirations I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I wish him all the best in his retirement, and I know he will continue to serve the community of Charleston and its people as long as he lives.