"Maybe They Make Good Bread"

"Maybe They Make Good Bread"

"Just because you can’t find someone’s diamond right away doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist"

19
"Maybe They Make Good Bread"
Aziz Acharki via Unsplash

“Maybe They Make Good Bread.”

This is a phrase that was taught to me by a close friend some 6+ years ago. The first time I heard it I thought it was just a silly phrase, but over the years I have adopted it into my everyday vocabulary and as a go-to phrase whenever I start to think negatively about people.

Everyone has heard the phrase “if you have nothing good to say, don’t say anything,” and this is my version of it. When I meet someone who I don’t seem to like for whatever reason, I say this phrase to myself. Maybe they are an annoying coworker, maybe a stranger on the street who gives off creepy vibes. Whatever the reason, if I find myself making harsh judgements about people I say “maybe they make good bread.” This serves as a reminder that everyone has something good about them.

I believe that everyone has a diamond within them. Some beautiful, interesting part they have to share with the world. Some people wear their diamonds around their neck, proudly showing them off to the world. Some people hide their diamonds away where you must earn the right to see it. Just because you can’t find someone’s diamond right away doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Think back on every important relationship you have ever had. At one point, this person was a stranger to you. But look how much you care about them now. Maybe your best friend is an amazing singer, but you probably didn’t know that when you first met. You found their diamond, and it is one of the reasons you care about them. Everyone in the world has a diamond, you just haven’t found them yet.

Imagining that someone I might not like immediately makes good bread gives us something to bond over. I love bread. If a person makes good bread, that is something we can bond over, and something I can find to like about them.

What if you know the person makes horrible bread? Then you pick something else that they could do really well. You like to run? Maybe this person runs really fast. You like dogs? Maybe this person is super nice to dogs. You like history? Maybe this person wrote a book about Vikings. It doesn’t matter what you imagine them doing, as long as it is something you can relate to and something good, it will remind you to look for their diamond. Try just a little harder to find that magic inside of them because I promise it is there and I promise once you find it, it will be amazing and beautiful and it is worth it to try a little harder. If you really can’t bring yourself to dig deeper, just remind yourself that maybe they make good bread and leave at that.

Believe in people. Everyone has something good you can connect with them. Even if it is something as simple as sharing a love of bread.