In Defense Of Getting Married Young

In Defense Of Getting Married Young

Society isn’t always right. There is no perfect formula for when to be married.

30
In Defense Of Getting Married Young
Kathryn Lee Photography

There’s a rumor at my college that if you walk around a certain fountain three times you will be engaged by the following spring. I walked the fountain. I got married before my junior year.

I had heard it said time and time again that I should fully establish myself before starting a life with anyone else. That was my plan until I met the one man who changed my mind.

It’s cliche, I know, but when I met my husband I knew that he was the person for me. We were instantly best friends and our passions and goals matched up like puzzle pieces. Within two years of meeting we were married.

There are so many reasons being married young has been the best thing that could have ever happened to me. I could write a book about the crazy situations my husband and I have found ourselves in. To spare anyone from having to read a novel about such a goofy couple, here are three reasons being married young is so wonderful.

1. We have grown up together-- literally.

Everyone knows that college isn’t just about studying-- it’s about discovering who you are, as an (almost) independent adult. Being engaged and married during all of that has been so rewarding! I got to watch as my husband went from a somewhat immature student who wouldn’t get up for his 8 a.m. classes to a college graduate who is now a strong and responsible man. I have gotten to see the most childish side of my husband-- and he gets to see mine. Growing up next to him means that I can better love him-- even in his weaknesses.

2. Adventures are more fun with your best friend.

A wise professor once asked me if there was anything I wanted to do that I couldn’t do if I was married. It was in that moment that I realized all my dreams would only be better with my husband by my side.

Because we are such good friends, my husband and I get to have all the fun. I never had to “give up my dreams” because I found someone who shares them. My husband and I have had the greatest adventures together-- from leading the BSU praise band in college; assisting missionaries in East Asia; adopting two cats, two fish and a dog in a one our tiny apartment (seriously, we may have a problem); meeting our favorite Christian artist; to having the adventure of a lifetime visiting the Amazon River! Because we are both young, we both have that youthful longing for adventure, we are spontaneous and we are both making the best memories together.

3. We get to start our life together while starting our lives as adults.

I got to see my husband graduate from college. I was with him as we rented our first apartment and searched for his first job. I got to be there on his first day as a music minister, and I got to be there the first time he had a bad day. I get to be a part of him establishing who he is an adult. When I graduate and start my career, he will get to be there for me as well.

We don’t fight about finances because we both had to figure out what to do with a budget at the same time. Neither of us have preconceived ways of living before we were a couple, so everything we do is a mixture of both of our ideas. We have gotten to start our life as a couple while simultaneously starting our lives as adults. As a result, we have a deep level of respect and empathy for one another. Our marriage is built on a strong foundation.

Society isn’t always right. There is no perfect formula for when to be married. Having an education, a career, a house and money doesn’t necessarily mean you’re ready for marriage. On that same note, being young and in love doesn’t prepare you for marriage either. For us, it was a mixture of being best friends, sharing the same goals and a deep belief that our relationship was what The Lord wanted in our lives. Being married young isn’t for everyone, but it certainly was right for me.