I Marched For Science As An Agricultural Communicator

Agriculture is science and communication is key.

5
Sheradan Hill

I had never been to a rally before. Not the kind where you make signs and gather on the streets. I didn't join the women's march and I have never attended a presidential speech, but on Earth Day 2017, I marched for science.

It may seem strange to some of you that an agricultural communication student would feel the need to march for things like STEM, environmental protection, science-based public policy and continued research. But you see, agriculture is science. And as a communicator, it is important to stand with people who agree and disagree with you. It is important to listen, learn and share your thoughts when asked to.

I saw signs that criticized CO2 production and referenced the documentary Cowspiracy. I don't know if those individuals were against animal agriculture, but after my brief moments of thinking "Seriously people?" I realized that it didn't matter. I held my makeshift sign that read "Stand up for science. It feeds the world" proudly and they held theirs just as high. Even if there were people in the crowd who didn't agree with what I believe to be true about the animal ag industry, we were all there to stand together and support research, facts and scientific theories. It wasn't about me or the person next to me. It wasn't even about agriculture. It was about something much bigger.

I felt empowered to be a part of such a vast, dynamic crowd in Indianapolis that day. I listened to speakers from across the state share their stories. Some were there to support STEM and robotics, others urged the crowd to contact legislators to protect state forests and one speaker even gave a shout out to Indiana's farmers for their hard work to conserve land and resources. At times I felt overcome with emotion as I looked around to see so many friendly warm faces on a cold Saturday morning. There are so many intelligent and compassionate individuals on this planet and I have never felt so confident that we can accomplish remarkable things in a lifetime.

I don't know what the answers are for climate change and reducing our carbon footprint. I don't know how to solve world hunger and I definitely don't know how to build a machine. No, I am not an engineer or a professor. But I am a student who believes in what science has done for our world. And that was all I needed to be.

As funny as it sounds, we are all born as scientists. We are all curious, and try to learn how things work. It may be as simple as how to push a button or as difficult as creating an effective vaccine, but each of us has natural capabilities of investigating and solving.

I marched as an agricultural communication student because I believe in what engineers, professors, pharmacists, entomologists, doctors, and animal scientists do. And I believe that those of us who may not be "real scientists" or who don't "look" like scientists have every means to be. I marched as a student who believes in the education of every interest and access to knowledge. I couldn't be an ag communicator if there weren't individuals researching GMOs and antibiotics. I definitely couldn't be a communicator if I didn't have access to factual information and the freedom to publish my thoughts.

It has never been more clear to me how much we each rely on the people around us. Every single occupation and field of study rely on another. It is such a complex system that interconnects in so many ways.

Marching in Indianapolis alongside new friends and unknown faces was an experience I will truly never forget. I will be reminded every day how grateful I am for science education as well as liberal arts. It makes me proud that I finally stood for a cause I believe in. I am glad so many people across the globe joined together to march for science. Without science, we have no chance.