Reflections On The 2017 March For Life, From Someone Who Was There

On the anniversary of the March for Life.

7
Nychele Kemper

I went to the March for Life in Washington, D.C., in 2017 with two friends from Liberty University. Liberty's pro-life club had arranged for two buses to transport Liberty students to the march. Because the vice president was one of the speakers, we had to arrive early and go through security, which honestly wasn't bad.

After waiting for a couple of hours in the cold, we listened to Mike Pence speak as well as several others. It was a really cold day, and we had completely underestimated how long we would be standing and waiting for the speeches to start, so we were all cold by the time we actually started marching. After the rally, we marched shoulder-to-shoulder with others from around the country. We walked near an exuberant Christian school and a chipper group of older ladies, one of whom gave me a hat because it was so cold.

We bailed on the march just before the end because others were - and because we had never been before, we thought it was basically over, and we had to go find food because the buses weren't going to stop on the five-hour drive back. We stopped in an art museum for a few minutes before we went in search of food. Then we got somewhat lost and ended up behind the mall while trying to find the entrance to get food and coffee from Five Guys and Starbucks before we had to meet back up with the rest of the Liberty students to get back on the buses.

Overall, it was an adventure, and we felt like we were being good activists by standing up for what was right. Though the direct effects of the annual march have yet to be seen, the experience of coming together with other likeminded people was heartening.