6 Time Management Tips

Have you ever thought, where did my time go? Those 5 hours seemed 30 minutes? You could not terminate everything that you had to complete? Well, we all suffer from scarcity of time. In various degrees and frequencies, with some much to be done but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Creating a routine, disciplining yourself and creating a system in order to be able to finish all those responsibilities in a timely fashion is essential for the success of our modern, fast-paced lives. Here are 6 simple time management tips to get more done without breaking a sweat (maybe at the begining but then all will be fine). Start with the end result in mind and ask yourself, what would the project look like once it is complete and outstanding in every aspect?

The first thing is to think on paper.

Write down every step of the process from the beginning until the end in order to complete an assignment. This will give you a clearer view of what needs to be done as well as it creates a starting point (at least gives you an idea), specially if you take time to start either because you do not know where to begging or you are confused in some way.

The second is to be fully prepared when commencing a project or assignment.

This method gives you an edge on combating procrastination and it boosts your motivation because the objective of this method is to have everything you need in order to complete the project/task by reducing the time of breaks and/or interferences.

The third method is the baby step method.

This method refers that in order for you to begin the project/task you will need to start somewhere and by that taking a small step. If you take a small step to begin the task, not mattering where, you will find easier to continue the task and less likely confused. Therefore, do not spend a great deal of time elaborating on how to start and where is going to lead you and instead just start. Remember, a journey around the world begins with a single, simple step forward.

The fourth method, known as the salami slice method.

When you have a task and just as you would not be able to eat an entire salami at once and you cut small slices to be able to eat it, you do the same with the task. Instead of completing the entire task at once, break them down into smaller "slices". This way you will not feel overwhelmed and it will be more manageable. Hence, when you discipline yourself to break down the whole into smaller parts and get them over with step by step, it will be much easier to stop procrastinating for the fact that you will gain momentum and the motivation of getting those small tasks done. This method is better applicable to larger tasks/projects.

The fifth method is called the swiss block method.

This analogy is made on the principle that in order to complete a considerable large project\task you will need to break down into smaller pieces throughout a specific time frame just as if you would like to consume the whole block of swiss cheese at once, you would not be able to do it or would probably choke (please do not choke) whereas you would cut the swiss cheese into more manageable pieces.

Last but definitely not least is to do the tasks that frightens you the most first.

Naturally, we tend to avoid or be more susceptible to procrastinate when it comes to a particular task or project you are afraid of. But that is when you have to push yourself to commence and finalize the project/task. Focus on those tasks/projects because once you begin, it seems more manageable and you realize it was not all that you thought. And with that, the other tasks/projects will seem even more accomplishable therefore you will be less likely to procrastinate.

Concluding, find the best method that fits your style of study and the circunstances. Use a combination of techniques and you will see results. And remember, start with the end result in mind and ask yourself- what would the project look like once it is complete and outstanding in every aspect?