10 Helpful Ways To Manage Your Time Effectively In College

Keep organized and (hopefully) ace all your classes!

33

The key to success *insert DJ Khaled voice* in college is to stay organized. These tips will keep you from pulling your hair out during the middle of the semester.

1. Use a planner

A planner is the holy grail item to staying organized. When you are assigned a paper, reading, or homework always right it down in a planner. When it is homework time, just open up your planner to see all your assignments in one spot. Check them off when done and voila, no panicking about forgotten, over-due assignments.

2. Use Google calendar

Everyone juggles different clubs, activities, greek life, work, and of course, classes. The calendar is accessible on any gmail account. It will help make your life less of a nightmare. Enter all the events, meetings, and classes you are responsible for attending. Also, this will make finding free time easier because you will know exactly when you’re not busy.

2. Use the syllabus

The syllabus is your best friend. It depends on how your professor compiles, but they usually include the course work, required textbooks, the run down of every class until the final, and other useful information. Do not let it go unused and crumbled on the bottom of your backpack. It is always good to keep your copy in a safe spot because it can save you when a difficult paper is assigned and you need instructions or want to know the weight of grade.

4. Wake up early

The professor notices when you’re habitually late to a class. They may understand if you commute or have a broken foot but otherwise they find it disrespectful. Come on time or even five to ten minutes early in order to unpack your bag and organize yourself instead of running to class in your pajamas.

5. Use my Study Life

This website allows you to track the progress of your assignments, exams, and classes and keep them all in one place. Basically, it is the digital version of a planner and has its own calendar. This might be easier for people who don’t want to carry a planner around.

6. Do not let yourself procrastinate on social media

Scrolling through Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook while trying to work or study is only going to make the process slower. Instead, turn off the phone or put it out of sight so the temptation is gone and only check it while taking a break.

7. Use a website blocker

If you really don’t trust yourself to not go on social media or other distracting sites use a website blocker. There are many including Cold turkey and extensions for Google chrome. http://getcoldturkey.com/

8. Use a 20 minute study method

There are multiple theories that say working for 20 to 25 minutes and then taking a 5-10 minute break is a good strategy for studying. This will force your brain to focus but not be burnt out because of allowed breaks. It's called the Pomodoro technique.

9. JUST DO IT.

You can’t avoid your homework forever! Just do it and the faster it is done the more time can be spent watching Netflix.

10. Use dropbox

Dropbox, and other file sharing sites, can keep important files and photos safe. They can be accessible on their website, app, and your computer. If you add or delete something it will do that across all three. You can keep all the documents for classes in folders labeled by course.