To The Man Who Got The Warning Signs And Decided To Stay

You read “To The Next One Who Decides To Date Me” and yet you still want me.

223
Deb Greengold

To You,

I honestly did not know that you would stay. I have had people coming in and out of my life on a constant and I would not have been surprised if it was the same with you. I held a wall up every time we saw each other, every time you looked at me and you noticed but it did not push you away. It just made you curious.

I intrigued you, you wanted to know why I am the way that I am and who changed me. As of right now, I still have part of my wall up, but every day that I am with you, it gets chipped away.

I want you to know that life is not rainbows and gumdrops and even though you look at me now like I am the most perfect girl in the world, I am anything but perfect. There will be days when you are frustrated with me, there will be days that we do not talk. It will suck, I know, but being attached at the hip is not the best thing either.

My life was pretty good without you and it can still stand alone. You are falling for a girl who can stand on her own two feet, who can buy her own Taco Bell and can drive your car without crashing it. I do not know what your last girlfriend did and frankly, I do not care.

Obviously something went wrong or you would not be with me right now, sitting on my bed. I will learn from her mistakes as you will learn from my exes’ mistakes. That is a factor as to what will make us great.

When I look into your eyes, I can see so much wonder, so much interest and so much life and I am excited to take this path with you and learn so much more. I warned you about how I will constantly ask questions. I am a journalist, what did you expect? You talk about your future all the time and sometimes you mention me in it and that brings butterflies to me but it can also be a bit scary.

I want to thank you for giving us such hope, even when sometimes its not realistic. I am the negative one out of the two of us and it is refreshing to hear your plans of life. I want to thank you for all the hugs you have given me, all the thigh rubs and words of encouragement even when you knew I messed up.

You are my friend. Always and forever and when you read this letter, I hope you know how much more you mean to me. You told me you’d never let me go, well now is the time to prove it.