Mamma Mia!: How To Ruin A Movie

These 6 Story Lines Were Thrown Out The Window In 'Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again' And It Ruined Everything

I'm sorry, but did they not watch the first movie before making this one?

68
mammamia

I have been obsessed with Mamma Mia since I was a small child. I have been known to watch it back to back for fun and sing along badly every time I do. That being said, when the sequel was announced, I quickly took a holiday from work to celebrate all that is Mamma Mia and danced my way to the theater to witness the return of one of my favorite stories.

And while overall, the movie was enjoyable, it made me sad to see how different it was than how it should have been. There was a myriad of issues I found with the movie, and I'm sure there were others I missed.

1. Bill, Harry, and Sam?

I'm sorry, but did they not watch the first movie before making this one? "Honey Honey" literally spells out how and when she meets and sleeps with all the guys, and they threw that out the window in the sequel. Harry was first when he should have been last...it was just a mess.

2. WHAT HAPPENED TO DONNA?

upload.wikimedia.org

I get that she died, but like, no one mentions how it happens, and I am hurt. Donna was larger than life, and they just killed her off without even telling us how they did it? What kind of messed up world is this?

3. Sophie and Sky?

How did they afford to redo this entire hotel? And how did they afford to send Sky to New York? I know it has been five years since the last one, but Donna was struggling in the last movie. How does Sophie have enough to afford high tech electronics, full staffing, and a full renovation of the hotel?

4. Cher? Why?

This role was completely unnecessary. I have nothing against Cher, but I don't understand why she was in this movie. Instead of her, give me Meryl Streep. Give me more Amanda Seyfried. I feel like Cher's role was just completely unnecessary and didn't add anything to the movie. Plus, how the heck is Donna's mom a famous singer?

She was uber strict and religious in the first movie, going so far as to kick Donna out when she was pregnant! It doesn't make sense that she has a huge change of character now.

5. Sam's living where?

upload.wikimedia.org

Now, I'm probably being overly critical here, but why the hell did it appear that Sam was living with Sophie and Sky on the island? Didn't he have four other kids with his ex-wife? Wouldn't it make sense that he go be with the definite children after Donna passes away? Instead of bunking with his 1/3rd daughter?

6. How did Sophie get knocked up?

Hasn't Sky been gone for the past like month? So, I don't understand how that time frame equates to a baby.

Altogether, "Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again" was entertaining, but thoroughly flawed. It's a fun film, but it didn't get me grooving like the first one did... And I left disappointed by the minimal role of Meryl Streep and unnecessary role of Cher.