To My Male Role Models This Father's Day

You have changed my life forever.

280
Google Images

Dear Donnell, Cody, and Jorge,

This is by far one of the hardest things I’ve ever written in my life because it’s a final acknowledgment of the pain my own male family members have caused me and a recognition of those who picked up my broken pieces and built me back up. I didn’t have a male in my life who reminded me that there was good in the world for almost 17 years. However, I am grateful and blessed to have had these three men come into my life and remind me of the goodness that is in this world

1. Donnell

My oh, my has this been an interesting year of growth for the both of us. I will never forget my first meeting with you when you asked me if I had read the poem “Phenomenal Woman” by Maya Angelou because it had reminded you of me. It was at that first moment when I knew you were going to become one of the greatest role models in my entire life.

Donnell, you’re an amazing father, worker and mentor for so many people. God gave me the gift of you at a time where I prayed to receive just one sign that my life was worth living. You were that sign. You've reminded me time and time again of my ability to succeed and whenever I find myself unable to see what good others see in me, you're always there to tell me. Thank you for all that you’ve done and continue to do, and thank you for being my male role model.

2. Cody

You’ve been a light of pure joy and motivation in a time where that is all I needed. I will never forget when I was moments from transferring to a new school and you told me stories, making me remember that I am here at UD for a reason. You always have been a source of clear-mindedness and have helped me with anything and everything I’ve ever needed.

You’ve done everything you ever could do for me. You’ve opened your home and your heart to me when I didn’t have either of those things. I will forever be grateful for your infectious happiness and helpful attitude. Thank you for never judging me, for standing there to support me no matter what and for being my male role model.

3. Jorge

I find this somewhat contradictory since I call you my grandma, but I’m a contradictory kind of person. Jorge, ever since you welcomed me this past summer to a campus I was scared to be on, you’ve never stopped guiding and supporting me in anything I’ve done. I will never forget the moment you pulled me aside this past year and said to me, “Do you know how much we care about you?” and at that moment I received something I’ve needed all along: a reminder of my worth.

Jorge, you’ve never given up on me throughout all of my experiences this past year, even when it seems like no one is there. I remember you telling me that I make friends so easily that I could even make friends with a snake-shaped balloon, and you’re the first person to tell me anything like that. Thank you for being my grandma, for giving me a home in your heart, for checking on me regularly and for being my male role model.

You all give me inspiration to go after my dream of getting married and have my own kids. I still am and always have been scared to death of males in general, getting married and having sons, especially, because I’ve never known what real men are supposed to act like. Thanks to all of you, I’m going to know what to look for in a husband and what to raise my sons to be like. Thank you for being my male role models and for giving me a future I never thought I even deserved.

You three are my favorite and only superheroes that flew into my life and changed me forever.

Love,

Bri