We ALL Need To Be Making Time For Self Care

We get so busy doing things for others, that we forget to take care of ourselves.

208
Megan Hughlett/Downtown Credo

I think we can all agree that our schedules these days are more than busy. I hear and see more and more how often people are exhausted, worn out and stressed out. As we get older and take on more responsibility, it starts to become almost habit to keep adding commitments and events to our calendars, and before we know it we are overwhelmed with all our phone reminders and planner lists. I know from experience, how crucial it is to take a step back and take care of ourselves, even if for just a moment.

Whether you’re a busy college student, a young adult working and trying to make ends meet, a parent, or maybe all three, life can feel overwhelming and a bit defeating. Personally, I have always been the type of person who has trouble saying “no” to those around me. I refer to myself as a “people pleaser” and it can be a very good and bad thing. Sometimes I look at my little planner, or go over my week in my head and realize how much I’ve agreed to take on and I start my week off feeling stressed and exhausted. If you struggle with saying no and over-scheduling yourself, I understand just how frustrating it can be. You love to selflessly serve those around you, but you tend to take on so much at once you end up feeling like you are constantly running on empty.

I’m writing this for myself, and anyone else who may struggle with saying no, or the constant need to please those around you. It really is okay to say no to someone or something. If you have an already full schedule, a stressful work week, or maybe your heart and soul are just feeling a bit underwhelmed with all you take on, don’t be afraid to say no to another request. When you say yes to things that add to your schedule, especially in times when you are already booked solid, you will not give that task your best and you may end up bitter because you see it as just another thing to mark off the list. It won’t happen overnight, but start learning to say no. I have to really talk myself down because I start to feel awful, but I promise you those people understand and you need to take care of yourself.

Whether you are a people pleasing person who just can’t say no, or you are just plain overscheduled and busy because that’s life, please take some time to refresh and renew yourself. I have seen a lot about self-care recently, and I know everyone feels differently about it, but I believe true self-care can look different for every person.

Maybe taking care of your heart and soul means going to the beach by yourself for the day, hitting that hot yoga class you love so much, or seeing a friend that knows just the right words to refresh your heart. It could also mean eating your favorite dessert or hopping in that bubble bath. Maybe for some of you, it looks like seeing a counselor, unplug for the day, or do something new.

Only YOU know what your heart and body need to feel renewed and refreshed. Take some time, take care of yourself, and don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise.

“I know what it’s like to live with the stress of an overwhelmed schedule and ache with the sadness of an underwhelmed soul.”
-Lysa Terkeurst