To The Person Who Hoards, Make Room In Your Life For Purpose

Releasing baggage to create space for growth.

179
Unsplash

“Make some room for the anointing on your life” has been ringing in my head for the past two weeks. The Bishop of the church that I was attending dropped this gem and while I assumed that it would go over my head, it surprisingly didn’t. In fact, my heart latched onto it and it’s been spinning like a top spinner ever since.

“Make some room for the anointing on your life”

What does that even mean?

Well, I believe that it is simply knowing that greater is coming and making room in your life for just that.

Now I won’t lie, as the bishop continued to preach, my mind became a little sidetracked because I began to imagine my entire life as a cluttered room. A room that appeared decently spacious with the consideration that it was encompassing 22 years worth of memories, pain, joys and to be quite frank junk!

The junk being baggage, some old trashed pain from the third grade, other from high school and maybe even more recent trash that found its way into my life last month. Hopefully, you’re seeing what I realized, which is that no matter the date of entry or the sentiments attached, the trash was still just that…. trash…. and it could never be more.

So why would I ever hold on to such a thing, well I think a more appropriate question would be why does one hoard?

In my hopes to not offend anyone who hoards, I will only use my own hoarding experience to further drive this analogy home. I personally hoard because I have some type of sentiment towards any and everything and these sentiments drive me onward to the point of attachment. It’s best demonstrated in my bedroom at my parents home, there you can find boxes of old chemistry tests (ones that I’ve failed), letters from friends and poems that I probably have hard drive to my google docs.

Yet, without the aggressive push of my father to correct my ways, my hoarding would mount to the ceiling of that bedroom, because addressing that I just don’t have the space in that room to host a shrine of my adolescents seems too difficult to do, so I put it off for another visit home.

And that my friends, is also what I do in my personal life. I hoard emotions, especially pain because to address the hurt is to relinquish its power and to do that is to move on to what’s greater… which scares me!

However, I am sharing all of these horrific intimate details of myself because I know that I’m not the only one… it’s impossible that I am!

As humans, we internally hoard a lot of trash.

We hoard the negative criticisms from our middle school crush and pin such as the culprit as to why we still feel insecure about X,Y and Z.

We hoard the failures of undergraduate and allow such to manifest fear and doubt into the next season of our lives.

We even hoard the fact that maybe we didn’t go to college and allow those sentiments to settle into our life and pile its dust of “I can’t become this because I never completed that” into our minds.

WE HOARD! WE HOARD! WE HOARD!

And while the old me would love to say that this is absolutely ok, I can only speak for myself when I say that I no longer wish to pile up emotions and allow them to rot into trash. I want my room to have space for the answers I’ve been praying for, I need my room to have the space.

I need to water what I wish to manifest and that, my friends, requires ground. So, to free up some soil I’ve decided to pluck up some of the weeds of my heart and move towards sowing what I wish to see.

Pots that hold seeds of faith, prosperity, hope, joy and peace are all being relocated into this room of mine as I am tossing out the trash to its respectful place.

And I wish the same for each of you. Ask yourselves, what have you been secretly praying for and if it arrived today would you even have the space for it? You can even take it a step further and ask if you’d have the allotted space for the answer, because I also believe that “making room for the anointing” means just that… creating the appropriate space to ensure that your answer can most effectively fulfill its purpose.

It’s time out for stacking our blessings on top of each other because we haven’t taken the time out to empty our lives of our mess. It’s also time out for us angrily questioning why the positives aren’t manifesting as we’re constantly gripping (with a tight grip, might I add) the negatives.

I encourage you as I encourage myself, that if I really desire what I’m praying for I’ll sweep out the dust of my life as I’m making my request known. I‘ll do this for many reasons and not just because I know that the answers are coming but because deep down, I want my life to be prepped and primed for such.

“If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won't be honest with greater responsibilities.”- Luke 16:10

May we be faithful enough to prepare for what it is that we are expecting, and as we care for the little things in our lives may we take great pride in sorting what is meant and gracefully releasing what isn’t.