Make Pop Punk Great Again

Make Pop Punk Great Again

How one band is changing the Philadelphia music scene for the better.

Philadelphia has seen it's fair share of musicians, but over the years, there really haven't been any local bands that caught my eye, until I heard this one. Their unique sound, their catchy lyrics and the passion they convey on stage convinced me that this band was different than the rest. That unique band's name is Grayscale, and they are taking the Philadelphia music scene by storm.

The band is comprised of five guys, Derek Parker, Andrew Kyne, Collin Walsh, Dallas Molster and Nick Veno. These five guys all share the same passion - making music. In 2011 their musical career began with them building their fan base and pushing themselves even harder when it came to making music. In April 2015 they released their first EP off of Anchor Eighty Four Records called "Change". Not long after that they went to work creating their debut full-length album, which was released in February 2016 titled "What We're Missing".

For the past five years this band has been on the move, headlining their own shows, releasing a music video, being featured in Alternative Press for their new album and opening for various artist such as Knuckle Puck, Neck Deep and Transit. Although this band has so many great accomplishments, they are still nowhere near done, though. Grayscale has put hard work, dedication and a lot of raw emotion into their music and they don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

One of the most unique things about this band is how they give back to their fans, even if it's tiny things that they do. Recently the band decided to do a pop up acoustic show on Drexel's campus. Not only is this a way for them to get their music out to a bigger audience but it's also a way to connect with their fans. Another interesting way that Grayscale connects with their fans is their new YouTube segment, which they started a few weeks ago, called "Grayscale Reads Your Tweets" which is comprised of the members reading and answering tweets from their fans. This not only shows off the guys goofy side, it also shows how even though they work hard on their music, they still find time to play as well.

In the world of pop punk today, it can be difficult to find a band that catches your eye, but when it comes to Grayscale they make it easier than most. If you ever have the chance to attend a Grayscale show, do it. I can promise you that you won't be disappointed.

Make sure you check out Grayscale and their new album "What We're Missing" on ITunes.