Working Over Winter Break

Making Money During Your Break May Seem Like A Good Idea, Until You Actually Start Working

At the end of the day, money is the real reason why the world goes round.

146
Work

There are only a few words I can use to describe what working during this break felt like.

Like. Hell.

Since I've started college, I usually take up a retail job during my breaks, specifically the winter and the summer. There's nothing more appealing than making money during the break. Since I solely depend on the money I have/make to get me through my college career and help me pay for tuition, I try to find a job during my breaks.

Luckily freshmen year, I was able to find a store willing to hire me as a seasonal worker and take me in during these breaks. At first, I was grateful. What's better than making money during the breaks? Not.

Working in retail is only really useful when trying to major in something business related. I also realized it can be a job that you might find yourself stuck in if you don't actually have any other ambitions. Retail is always looking for workers and tends to be that "first job," but if you're not careful, it might be the only job.

As a journalism major, it took me two years to realize that I need to spend my breaks more usefully. Working in a retail job was getting me nowhere and STILL ISN'T.

You might be wondering why I'm working there if this is how I feel. But isn't it obvious? Money. Isn't that why anyone does anything these days?

There have been times where I stand at my job and think, "Is this worth it?"

Or when you take a half hour folding a shelf of clothes to watch someone come in a couple of minutes and ruin the whole thing. What's the point?

During the holiday season, you will come face-to-face with some of the craziest customers. I've seen customers fight for a sweater. Like what? Let's not forget the "Can I get a discount?" customers. The shirt is already $10, what else could you possibly want?

Ultimately, the job can be exhausting and at the end of the day, I'm tired.

But this is my break. Why am I working so hard during my free time? Because once I go back to college, it's back to stressing about tests, assignments, etc. This is our break, yet we just tire ourselves out and then continue to be tired throughout the whole semester. So is the money really worth it? Is this all a waste of time?

Winter break is so short already, shouldn't I go hang out with some friends I haven't seen in a while? Eat food that I can only get in the city? Why am I working so hard?

Oh yeah, that's right! Money.

Because at the end of the day, money is the real reason why the world goes round.

Let's be honest, I'm probably going to work there again during the next winter break. You can't hang out with friends without money, am I right?