5 Questions To Ask When Making Friends At College

After about five months I have made some of the best friends I could ever ask for.

198
Mary Beth Flores

Part of the College experience is meeting new people and I can honestly say this is my favorite part of this stage in my life. After about five months I have made some of the best friends I could ever ask for. From becoming sisters with my roommate to turning around in a class to introduce myself to a random girl, I have made some of the most amazing friends I could ask for. I have noticed a pattern when making new friends that always start of with the typical...

1. What's Your Name? (Introduction)

Obviously, it's a given, the start of every new friendship begins with the typical, "Hi my name is...." I found that repeating my name at the end of the conversation helps them remember it more!

2. "What's Your Major"

This is the question I always find myself asking, not only does everyone have a major but it is a good way to figure out what the person is interested in. Who knows, they could have the same major as you!

3. Where are you from?

This question I find the most interesting because you could be talking to a person like you've known them your whole life and you find out they're from... Singapore!? This happened to me in my WRA class and I found it so exciting to talk about their culture in comparison to my own.

4. Where are you living?

If they're a freshman they must be living on campus, so this next question I usually ask always comes up. You might make a new friend who lives in your dorm!

5. Where are you living next year?

I usually always remember to ask this question because it allows me to get new ideas on where to live and find out if they could be my future neighbor.

So far at college, I have learned that no matter the situation, it is always good to introduce yourself and get to know new people. I have made so many friends just by asking questions and getting to know them, so never be afraid to speak up and just say hi!