Makeup Tips For Beginners

To Those Just Starting Out With Makeup, Here Are 5 Tips To Make Sure You Slay Your Next Look

Makeup is for self-expression and self-confidence, among many other things.

234

I was never one to wear makeup every day. I always thought that it was unnecessary, and I was one of those people who thought that girls always wore makeup for other people. Now that I'm older and more mature, I can see that first, it's not only girls who rock epic makeup looks, but also, makeup is for self-expression and self-confidence, among many other things. Now I wear makeup almost every day with liquid lipsticks being one of the staple products I always have with me. Here are some things that I've found over the years that help me find the best liquid lipsticks, as well as deal with problems I've had with them.

Do your research

I think that this tip goes with any makeup product, and even outside the realm of makeup. Research can do so much for your skin when dealing with things like powders, concealers, and foundations. If you feel strongly about a cause, especially one that has previously rocked the beauty industry before, some brands advertise as cruelty-free, vegan, natural ingredients, no testing on animals, among other claims. Make sure that you are buying from a brand that upholds the practices that you personally believe in.

Researching ingredients and what they do within your makeup products is ESSENTIAL. Companies may use harsh chemicals or compounds in their formula to make their product look better, but in the end, does damage to your skin. People with sensitive skin must be especially careful, as many products with fragrances or irritating ingredients such as parabens, formaldehyde, and other preservatives tend to result in allergic reactions or breakouts for those with sensitive skin.

Liquid lipstick too drying?

A problem that I frequently encountered when first exploring the vast realm of liquid lipsticks is that many formulas, especially matte formulas, tend to be extremely drying to your lips. If you find a color that you like or already own a lipstick that you love but is too drying, try using first a lip scrub to smooth out and wipe away any dead skin, and then apply a thin coating of lip balm to make your lipstick feel more comfortable. I do this with most of my lipsticks even if they are not as drying when directly applicated on the lips simply because my lips tend to be chapped more often than not.

Make sure that you are only applying a thin layer! If you apply too much, your lips will be too slippery and the pigment in the lipstick won't have anything to hold on to. The same principle applies to a dry foundation: you can add some facial oil or switch to a dewy primer to make it more comfortable. My personal favorite liquid lipsticks are the Velour Liquid Lipsticks from Jeffree Star Cosmetics. They aren't too drying, they last the whole day, they don't smudge as much as others, and they don't make my lips feel raw afterward; these are the only things I could ask from a liquid lipstick, and this one has the whole package.

Blend down to the neck

I know that this one seems like it could be self-explanatory, but when you are putting on your foundation, don't forget to spread it all the way down to the neck. Your skin tone on your face may not exactly match the skin on your neck. When you are applying, take some of the excess and blend past the jawline, over your ears, and down to your neck to make sure that you have a uniform appearance all around. You could apply with either a brush or a beauty sponge (my personal favorite is with the sponge — don't forget to dampen it first).

Use a primer!

If you're one of those people who doesn't love a heavy makeup look, primer might seem like an insignificant additional step in your routine. BUT there are many benefits to using a primer. Some of the most prevalent benefits include longer lasting makeup as well as a more even application. It's the same principle behind using a base coat on your nails before applying nail polish — it's another layer between your makeup and your skin, preventing your skin from absorbing too many irritating products, and some primers even hydrate and reduce the appearance of pores and fine lines.

In my opinion, it is especially important that you use an eye primer before applying eye shadow. The skin around your eyes is more sensitive than the skin at other areas on your face. Because of this, it is essential to place that extra barrier between your skin and your makeup both as an anti-aging method as well as to protect your eyes from getting irritated by any agitating ingredients

Take care of your skin

The type of makeup that everyone uses and the different products and brands that work for them all differ from person to person, from skin type to skin type. For example, someone who has dry skin probably won't find the same products as someone with oily or combination skin, and vice versa. Knowing what type of skin you have — combination, oily, dry, or normal — can help you find products that suit your skin the best. In the end, it's all about how comfortable it makes you feel both as a product and on the inside, as well.

Obviously, if you have dry skin, try more dewy or hydrating face creams, primers, cleansers, and foundations. If you have oily skin, try some mattifying or oil-control products! For combination skin, a mix of both of these types of products works best. A brand that is a little expensive but completely worth the money is Tatcha. They have starter kits for all skin types, so if you don't know where to start with your skin care routine, you can start your journey there with some research. A drug store brand that doesn't have great makeup but has amazing skincare is Burt's Bees — this is one that I personally enjoy over other drug store brands such as Neutrogena and Aveeno because they use mostly natural ingredients, which is something that I personally look for in my skin care products.