Makeup Is Feminist

Makeup Is Feminist

How makeup has become an essential part of the feminist movement, and why we need to acknowledge it.

391
Makeup Is Feminist
MakeupLovely.com

How many times have you seen a girl with her face absolutely caked with foundation, with full eyeliner wings extending about 2 inches from her eyes, and a bright red lip? As much as the media portrays it, this is not an exactly common occurrence. However, when it does, our gut reaction is to think “that poor girl must be so insecure”. Why else would a girl cake her face with what is seemingly pounds of makeup?

Rather than people interpreting a girl’s face full of makeup as an empowering choice or a decision to express herself artistically, our automatic reaction is that the poor girl has been brainwashed by society to think she is not beautiful without her face being painted. In general, modern feminism is an immensely misunderstood movement, which is often overshadowed by radical and aggressive notable figures of feminism from the past. Even today, many people interpret feminism as women who fight for women’s rights at any expense, but this remains an inaccurate reflection over the overall movement. Feminism is aimed at the inclusion of rights and equality for everyone, both males and females, of all races, religions, body types and sizes, sexual orientations, etc..

As a woman, I have grown up with a plethora of beauty standards, as well as other expectations, impressed upon me. While these have been suffocating at times, these beauty ideals have also allowed me to understand what is important and what is not. What I have discovered is that the power of makeup exists not in its ability to make you appear more physically attractive, but in the decision of whether or not you want to wear it. Now, I would consider myself a makeup enthusiast, with my own huge collection of cosmetics, as well as a proud and outspoken feminist.

Although makeup is often looked upon as anti-feminist due to its origins as a way to attract members of the opposite sex, the act of applying makeup is an activity being reclaimed by modern feminists. Rather than applying makeup as a method of seduction, women have found ways to employ makeup as an act of artistic expression and a therapeutic tool of anxiety. At the forefront of this movement is the concept of women no longer feeling guilty for wearing makeup. Now, women are able to choose whether they want to wear makeup and if they choose to do so, they are empowered by the strength and influence in their decision.

Despite the history of cosmetics being made for the benefit of men, women are now often criticized for the amount of makeup they choose to apply. The first cosmetics were invented by Homo sapiens, and currently are used by tribes all over the world as a method of communication. In these tribes, makeup is representative of their status within their tribe, used as a marker for masculinity and success as a warrior. More recent history, such as 19th century Europe and beyond showed the use of makeup among aristocratic men as a method of appearing more professional. Makeup was originally created by and used predominantly by men in fields like battle and politics, yet women who have transformed the role of makeup in modern society continued to be shamed for their decision to use it. Thus, even if a woman complies with the societal constructs pressed upon her by a patriarchal society, she may still be looked down upon by others.

If a woman is aware of wearing makeup as a choice, than she is empowered by her decision, whether she chooses to or not. While there will always be magazines and advertisements that attempt to convince women they need makeup in order to be beautiful, feminism is about the recognition of this and the abolition of these ideas in the minds of people of all genders. Female or not, acknowledging makeup as a decision gives people power.

Due to the sexist origins of the modern cosmetics industry, many people refuse to see the good that makeup can do for women in their lives. Contemporary makeup is marketed in ways that encourage girls to have fun with it, and to remember that it washes off at the end of the day. The cosmetics industry fuels creativity in people of all genders who have fun with its application, inspiring emotions of enjoyment and amusement. In fact, studies have shown that the application of makeup can cause the soothing of feelings of uneasiness or anxiety. This is connected to the focus involved in applying makeup, as well as the routine, which both help foster relaxation, similar to deep breathing during a yoga class. Morning routines have also been shown to improve overall mood. Additionally, women should not be shamed for wanting to take time in their day that can be dedicated to self-love and self-appreciation, which is a main component of makeup application for many girls.

With a better and more comprehensive understanding of how makeup has begun to play a much more important role beyond making women look pretty to appease men, there will continue to be effects on society from this radical change. A modern trend that has begun to gain momentum is the act of minority groups in reclaiming terms or concepts initially used to incite insult or harm against them, also known as reappropriation.

This is an activity that can be interpreted as being reclaimed by women. Although not a term, the act itself has begun to be reclaimed as something empowering and inherently feminist. Previously, makeup could be interpreted as an oppressive social construct made to decrease the self esteem of women everywhere in an attempt to sell cosmetic products. And while men have long dominated the $50-billion industry, new companies on the rise are being fueled by their female CEO’s and the cult followings of women who recognize this administrative revolution.

Makeup no longer has to have a negative connotation. We, as men and women, have the ability to recognize the harmful effect of impressing an idealistic physical appearance onto young women. In doing so, women can begin to reclaim the act of putting makeup on as a way of self-empowerment. Whether they choose to apply makeup for a boost of self confidence, to attempt of a look they saw online, or as a way to practice art with their face as a canvas, the decision is theirs.

Feminism, which about maintaining equality, is big enough and open enough in its definition to include makeup as a central component of this movement. If the main theme of feminism is equality and acceptance, then let’s allow makeup to be included in that too.

I contend that makeup has become an imperative tool to the feminist movement, as it demonstrates a woman’s choice whether or not she wants to participate in the culture of cosmetics. This is no longer something forced upon women and no longer something women are innately shamed for not wearing. Makeup has become an outlet for artistic expression, a method of relaxation and therapy for anxiety or stress, and empowers women to feel beautiful and strong in their decision of whether they choose to wear it or not.

So let’s stop judging women for wearing a face full of makeup or choosing not to at all. It is a woman’s choice, and that in itself is the core of feminism.