7 Ways To Make The Most Of Recruitment

7 Ways To Make The Most Of Recruitment

Recruitment is the experience you make it.

5
7 Ways To Make The Most Of Recruitment
Kaleigh McIntyre

It's back-to-school season, and that means that for many of us, recruitment is right around the corner! Recruitment is a nerve-wracking time for both those going through and the collegiate members, so here are some tips to help you get through without stressing out too much, whether it's your first recruitment or your last.

1. Get enough sleep.

First timers: You are going to be unbelievably excited. I'm talking Christmas-morning-when-you-were-seven-years-old excited. But trust me, try to get at least six hours of sleep! You will wake up feeling more rested and confident in yourself.

Actives: I know, you have a lot of work to do. But you're going to be useless if you don't sleep. You're going to be in a bad mood, everyone is going to feed off of the negative energy and stress, and recruitment is going to be no fun. That doesn't make sense, because recruitment is the best time of the year! You're meeting awesome new women, and some of them will be your new sisters! So take the time to rest so you can enjoy recruitment.

2. Don't neglect your workload.

First timers: You probably just started school, so it's really not a great idea to let your work take the back burner. Trust me, it's all too easy to forget the work even exists, and it doesn't take much to destroy your GPA (it's so much easier to tank your GPA than to raise it). Besides, if you neglect your work during recruitment, you're going to have to play catch-up afterward -- time that could be much better spent getting to know your new sisters!

Actives: Take some time to get your work done. I know it's hard to prioritize anything other than recruitment, but you don't want to let your studies slip -- because you'll have less time to get your grades back up if they do.

3. Eat well.

First timers: You've probably heard this a thousand times, before every standardized test you've ever taken: eat a good breakfast. But don't stop there! Don't forget to eat, and to eat healthy. You'll have more energy and you'll be able to enter recruitment with your best foot forward.

Actives: Don't be the before-a-Snickers-bar nightmare version of yourself. Don't have time to eat? Multi-task! Being in a bad mood because you're hungry isn't going to help anyone, and it's not healthy to neglect meals.

4. Don't let nerves get the best of you.

First timers: Listen, I know it can be nerve-wracking to talk to countless women from houses with Greek names you can barely keep straight. Don't let the nerves control you. Make the most of this time, because you'll make friends in more than just the house you end up at.

Actives: The stress is all-consuming, but don't let it take over. I know it's easy to get lost in trying to ensure the best possible outcome for your house, but try and enjoy recruitment! Help these new girls start off their first experience with Greek Life in the best possible way.

5. Don't let your friends make your decisions.

First timers: That first group of friends you made when you arrived on campus -- the same one going through recruitment with you? Yeah, don't go to all your houses with them. The best advice I was ever given during recruitment was not to let anyone else influence my decision, and I am so glad that I listened to that advice. If you really want Beta Beta Beta but your friend wants Alpha Alpha Alpha, that's fine! You can still be friends; you don't have to pledge the same house to remain as close as sisters.

Actives: Don't let your friends or sisters make up your mind for you about certain girls. Make up your mind for yourself!

6. Treat disaffiliated women well.

First timers: It's hard to imagine right now, but the women answering all your questions about recruitment are making a major sacrifice to help you. They have taken their letters off and stayed away from their sisters for you. Take some time to appreciate them!

Actives: You know how hard it is when the seniors leave every year? The women who disaffiliate to help the recruitment process along are experiencing a little taste of this right now, and it's undoubtedly bittersweet.

7. Have fun.

First timers: You only go through this side of recruitment once, so enjoy it! Cherish the friends you make, because though you won't all end up at the same house, you can still have a bond that lasts beyond your college experience.

Actives: Don't let the stress get the best of you. Recruitment is a time to be celebrated; your house is growing!

Good luck, everyone!