21 Ways To Make August Count

21 Ways To Make August Count

The sun hasn't set on summer just yet.

83
21 Ways To Make August Count
Lily Switka

As months go, August has a different energy. While it's still summer, it usually comes with the realization that our time is short. With the looming date of move-in marked on our calendars, it's reminiscent of bittersweet endings.

But, if you let it, it can also be a month of new beginnings.

Here's 21 ideas to help you have the best August ever:

1. In the words of the great Sheryl Crow, "Soak up the sun!"

Being tan is cool, but being happy is even cooler. Sunshine triggers your body's production of Vitamin D, which is great for both physical and mental health. Get that 45 on so you can rock on!

2. Go camping!

(Even if it's just in your backyard.)

3. Hop in the car and drive.

If you're like me, you love driving all over town. Not having a car at college is nice to save money on gas, but it's definitely something I miss during the year (especially walking to class in the dead of winter). If you don't have anywhere specific to go, try playing Left Right Straight:

Grab a friend who is fire with the aux and get into your vehicle of choice. Start driving, and whenever you reach an intersection, spontaneously decide whether to turn left, turn right, or continue straight. Repeat until you end up somewhere cool, or run out of gas.

4. Catch as many movies in the theaters as you can!

There are so many great films to see this summer, including The Lion King, Toy Story 4, Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Yesterday, and Spiderman: Far From Home.

5. Or... find the dumbest looking movie on Netflix and watch that instead.

I probably love making fun of bad movies a little too much...

6. Do an impromptu photoshoot with your BFFs.

#GoldenHour

7. (Actually) enjoy back-to-school shopping.

Remember how much fun we used to have as kids when it was time to hit up all the back-to-school sales?! Now it's kind of a nuisance, what with college bookstores and apartment furniture, but try to have fun with it. After college (and grad school if that floats your boat), the next time you'll be shopping for school will be- dare I say it- for your own kids (yikes).

8. S'mores.

'Nuff said.

9. Picnic while cloud-watching.

People-watching and bird-watching are also a good time.

10. Go stargazing.

I must impart my astrophysicist nerdiness on you all: August is the month to witness the beautiful Perseid meteor shower.

For more, click here: https://www.nasa.gov/mediacast/jpl/whats-up-august...

11. Appreciate your city!

Going to school even a couple of hours away from home definitely helps you realize how much you appreciate your nearest big city or home town. Spend a night on the town and take a mental picture of that skyline!

(And if you already go to school close to home, then, I envy you).

12. Savor your favorite local eats.

13. Make a card for someone.

This is one of my personal favorite hobbies, but it can be especially nice for whoever you've been staying with over the summer, even if it just says "Thank you for doing my laundry."

14. Tell someone you love them!

Swenson's burgers, I love you.

15. Be a kid again.

That's right, I'm talking sidewalk chalk, rollerblading, bubbles, paint fights, ice cream, THE WHOLE SHABANG.

16. Go skinny dipping!

I realize the contrast between this and #15.

But literally why not?

17. Cook with your fam.

Home-cooked meals are a treasure.

18. Use your national and state parks!

Hikes, runs, nature-admiring, waterfall-swimming, cliff-jumping, you name it. Take advantage of what your geographic area has to offer.

19. Watch the sunset from a wacky place.

20. Tie up loose ends.

Nothing's worse than going back to school with a bunch of unfinished business at home. Whether it's quitting a bad job, saying goodbye to a toxic friend, ending a relationship that's bringing you down, or finishing up a project. Close the doors that need to be closed, take a deep breath, and move on.

21. Open your mind to new opportunities.

Who KNOWS what's in store for you? The new school year comes with the promise of endless possibilities that you don't even know exist yet. New friendships, new things to learn, new memories. Be accepting of change, and get ready for the fun.

Share your August adventures with me on Insta, @lilswits!