Make America Great Again By Voting

Make America Great Again By Voting

An oversimplified rendition of why it's important to vote.

8
Make America Great Again By Voting
Patimes.org

Now, I'm not one who is very in politics. Quite frankly I hate politics while they do a lot of good they also cause a lot of problems, so I have always separated myself from the politics scene. Going to a school where politics lives and thrives has opened my mind up and certainly challenged my views. I'm also not one to publicly post my opinion, especially on such a topic, but I really feel like this is just something that should be said.

For the upcoming election all I really hear is, "I don't think I'm going to vote." OK, no, go vote. It is once every four years and takes maximum of 10 minutes. Go fill in the little bubble, because if you don't then for the next four years I don't want to hear you complain about what our newly elected president does. Since I know that won't happen and that you will complain at some point, go vote. It's that simple.

I feel like people forget how much it means to vote. As this is my first major election that I'm eligible to vote I've taken some time to reflect on voting. Now, I don't have a list of why it's important to vote because I think voting can mean different things to different people. Instead I have a few things to consider when you are contemplating going to the voting booth.

Think about how we got to this point where we even have the right to vote. We as a country pride ourselves on the freedom to have a voice in how our country is run. We have fought for this right, and while you might not have been active in receiving this right, don't you feel like you owe it to those who did fight for this? I certainly do.

Speaking of fighting for the right to vote when women say they are passing up their right to vote I get a little bit more irked. Susan B. Anthony would rollover in her grave if I even told her how often I have heard this this year. I don't consider myself a feminist, I see the problems and I believe that women aren't totally equal, but I also have some traditional views that hold me back from being a full feminist, but this makes my inner feminist come out. Women haven't even had the right to vote for 100 years, and now women are just throwing away what so many people worked tirelessly to gain.

OK, so, here is the part where people say "There is no point in voting if I don't like either of the candidates." Here, you have a kinda point. It's understandable and but not totally accurate. The solution is really simple: You can write in! If the candidate you liked dropped out that doesn't mean you can't vote for them. While the chances are slim it's not impossible. Even if your right in doesn't win you at least voiced your opinion (and didn't compromise who you really think should be in charge).

While I'm sure you have heard all of this before I really do think that people take advantage of the right to vote. Today people act like it is a hassle, but I mean it's not something that occurs often. I couldn't imagine not voting in my first eligible election regardless of who is running because no vote means you are giving up your right to voice your opinion to improve our, as well as, your right to complain.