7 Major Differences Between California And Michigan

Living in both states have opened my eyes to the similarities and differences among the states.

8442
blogs.acs.nmu.edu

I was born in Southern California in a city called Northridge. My family and I lived in CA until I was ten years old, and then we moved to Michigan. Making that transition has opened my eyes to the differences between the two wondrous states on opposite sides of the country. When I was younger, I had no idea that there were so many unique things that belonged to each state. For that reason, I thought I might enlighten you by highlighting some specialties from California (specifically Southern California, because that is where I’m from) and Michigan.

1. Traffic

Beep Beep! If you leave at the wrong time in Southern CA, you will certainly hit traffic that could delay your trip by hours. In an effort to ease the traffic flow, you’ll see that most freeways consist of 5 lanes. Yet, if you are driving between 5 and 7:30 pm, you will hit traffic! You'll see bikers weaving in and out of traffic ("cutting traffic") legally, but it is illegal in MI. Living in MI where it is less densely populated, we don’t have to worry about much traffic. In the bigger cities, you might hit some bumper to bumper traffic, but it is not nearly as bad as the traffic on the freeways in Southern CA.

2. Gas

The gas prices in MI and CA vary greatly. The biggest thing is that California's gas is always more expensive. It is the most expensive in the US while MI is one of the lowest. As I write this, the average gas price in MI is $2.17 and CA is $2.76.

3. Beaches

When I first moved to MI I thought the beach (on the Great Lakes) would be nothing compared to CA. But, I was pleasantly surprised to see the Lake Michigan looked remarkably similar to the Pacific Coast. The major difference is fresh water in MI versus the salt water in CA. Another difference is seen in the appearance of waves. The waves in CA are typically larger than those in our Great Lakes, but I saw some waves in Charlevoix, MI that were even more ferocious than other waves I’ve seen in the Pacific.

4. Lifeguards

In CA, you will find lifeguard towers along the coast at public beaches. In MI, however, the beach is only open during the summer because at other points in the year the lakes are too cold or frozen over (because Michiganders go through all four seasons)! Lifeguards for that reason are not typically employed at beaches. Still, MI’s Great Lakes have rip currents that can be fatal.

5. Wildlife

When I moved to MI I saw that there were many animals that like to roam freely and even approach you at times. The most common animals to see are squirrels, deer, geese, and turkeys in rural areas. Living in Southern CA, that was a rare experience, even when camping. Going to the beach, you can see seagulls and sea lions. But the mountains are home to bobcats and many other wild animals.

6. Climate

The climate in CA varies greatly (hot desert to subarctic) depending on latitude, elevation and proximity to the coast. Much of the state is a Mediterranean climate with warm to hot, dry summers and mild, moderately wet winters. In the Midwest, MI has a temperate climate and experiences all four seasons (cold, snowy winters; colorful autumns; humid, warm summers; blossoming, chilly springs).

7. Pot holes

Because of the changing seasons, MI roads are typically terribly filled with potholes and cracks. As a result of the climate in CA, the roads are smoother.

9. Food

Last but certainly not least is the difference in food. Yes—there are Wendy's, Taco Bell, Burger King, Little Caesar's and other major restaurants, but there are some major differences too. Because CA is more densely populated, there is more diversity and more options for eating. Still, there are some food places that are foreign to the Great Lakes state: In-N-Out Burger, Del Taco, Pollo Loco, and Carl's Jr. Another major thing that varies between states is the lingo around soft drinks. In Michigan most people say "pop," while CA residents refer to the same drinks as "soda."

These are only nine key points regarding the differences between the California and Michigan, but you can certainly find more. Living in both locations has been a great blessing, and it has been great seeing the differences between the two. Hopefully you can see the differences for yourself while traveling and vacationing!