What's It Like To Have Your Major Before Starting College?

It can be tough for someone who has their major in a world that doesn't.

14

Many people don't know what they want to study when they get to college.

And many people do.

I'm one of those folks who knew what they wanted to be since the day they were born. I will be majoring in Biology (Pre-Med) in hopes of becoming something in the medical field.

But being a person who is ahead in what you want to become...I noticed that already having a major in mind, a lot of other people didn't.

This past fall, my former high school created an alumni event that past seniors from the year prior would come and talk to the seniors and juniors of this year and talk about college, what it's like, trade school, military,etc.

When former seniors of our school were asked the question," what's your major?" Or " what are you going to study?", many of them said, " I'm undecided" or " I don't know yet".

DO NOT get me wrong, it is perfectly okay to not know what you are doing, what you want to be, what your interests are.

But for me personally being someone who has always wanted to be in the medical field, I would have liked to know someone who does have a plan for themselves besides just going to college and trying to pass, and luckily I have met some people from my college who know exactly what their doing!

Some even within my own major!

Another thing about being a Pre-Med major is that when you tell people you plan to do Pre-Med or be a doctor, people always look at you with a shocked expression, well at least with me.

BUT one annoying things that does happen to me when I state that I want to be in the medical field is that a couple people will tell me,

" Wow that's a lot of schooling to do. Are you sure you want to do all that schooling?".

Yes I know that's a lot of school. Yes I do, otherwise I would have a different major. Maybe your trying to be nice and warn me about how much school it takes to be a doctor, ESPECIALLY for the type of doctor I'm trying to become, but I know how much school I have to do. I know it's going to be hard and stressful but as long as I like what I'm doing I will be okay, I promise!

For those who know what you want to become and have been through some of these experience, my advice to you is to not get discouraged when a lot of people don't know what they want to do.

There will be people out there for you who will have majors and make you not feel alone, but don't be mean to those who do not have any plans yet.

Their just trying to find their place in the world like the rest of us, give them some slack, it's not the end of the world if they don't know where their interests lie.

If you already have your major,congrats on being a step ahead and I hope you succeed with it.

If you don't know your major, you will soon I promise. You just need something to get you to that place and say, " this is what I want to do for the rest of my life".

I wish you guys all the luck, people with majors and without