How To Stay A Christian In College

How To Stay A Christian In College

How to keep a better grip on your faith while in college.

30
How To Stay A Christian In College
Christ Revolution Church

The moment you take that first step onto campus your whole world starts spinning. You're excited, you're terrified, and maybe even feeling slightly independent and free. With all these thoughts going through your mind, your world can become a bit chaotic. And where chaos is, so is confusion.

Going to college really becomes a "revealing moment" in your faith. It's the moment where you can no longer rely upon your parents' faith and have to stand up on the two legs of your own personal faith.

You face hardships that you never thought you would, and when that happens you have the choice to either blame God and walk away or rely on God for strength and still praise Him. You face joys and great happiness, and when that happens you also have a choice: either forget God because you don't think you need Him, or you thank God and praise Him again.

Your faith will be tested.

When you are preparing yourself for college, or are already in college, these are some things that'll help you stay strong in your faith:

Now, before you even get to school, examine where you are spiritually.

Don't let your faith be body-slammed by reality when you get to college, take the initiative and actually take an honest look at yourself now. It's just between you and God so don't try to hide behind that "perfect Christian" persona, no one like that exists. So start building up your relationship with God now so that you'll be stronger when the storms come. Get ahead of the curve.

Get plugged into a church.

This is very important, especially if you don't go to a Christian university and have chapel (which still doesn't take the place of actually going to church). Get plugged into their ministries and become involved in that environment. Establish relationships with the pastors so that you have a mentor to go to when times are tough. If you don't have a car that's no excuse, find friends who you can carpool with or at the very least watch a service online.

Be involved in a Christian community.

If you're someone like me, you can be very easily influenced by those around you. What friends you hang out with will absolutely determine what kind of college experience you have. If you have a good group of Christian friends (and I mean actual Christians, not just people who are Christians in name but not in actions), you can hold each other accountable to your actions.

"Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."(NIV) -Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Don't become a "Luke-warm Christian."

Don't allow yourself to just tread water with your faith when you go to college. Keep reading your Bible everyday, keep spending that time with God, that's how you grow stronger in Him.

If you become one of those people who just say that their a Christian, yet act like nothing of the sort, not only will you be a bad representative of Christ to the people around you, but you also fall to pieces at the first sense of trials.

You might say to yourself, "Well, I don't do anything wrong. Yeah I don't go to church, and yes my friends are out smoking drugs, but that's not me! I'm fine!" This is what the Bible says about "Luke-warm Christians":

"15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth."(NIV) -Revelation 3:15-16

So don't let yourself get lacks. The devil makes it easy(trust me, I know).

I know that the thought of college can be intimidating, even if its your second, third, or fourth year. But be encouraged that no matter what you will go through God will always be there right beside you!

In Him you are strong, joyful, thankful, and have peace of mind (very important in finals season). College will be a wonderful time of your life because it will shape you into who you will be out in the real world. That's why it's important to stay close to God at all times, "6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”(NIV) -Deuteronomy 31:6

"The Lord your God is in your midst,
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing."(ESV) -Zephaniah 3:17

Turn to God, because He will never let you down, the world will.