4 Tips To Successfully Maintaining A Long Distance Relationship

All you need is trust, communication, space and love.

2773
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

My boyfriend and I have been in a relationship for 8 years now. We started dating when were about 16/17-years-old. Our relationship started out as a long-distance one. I honestly didn't think we would last 2 months let alone make it to 8 years together. A lot of people think that having a long distance relationship was easy. It is quite the opposite actually. There were plenty of times where we just wanted to call it quits. The idea of long distance is romantic and sweet. The thought of having someone counting the days to just see you is the best. But there were times where we just wanted to be in a regular relationship where we would be able to see each other daily.We knew if we wanted to maintain this relationship we needed to have 4 main things to help our relationship survive. Trust, Communication, Space, and Love.

1. Trust.

When in a long distance relationship, you must always have trust. Without trust, your relationship will not survive. You can't go into a relationship without trusting your significant other. The both of you need to be able to feel secure about your relationship and loved one. You both need to show each other that there is no jealousy there or malicious feelings. Trust is a big component in an LDR. (Long distance relationship)

2. Communication.

Being in a long distance relationship communication is a big thing. Since you are not able to see each other every day. The both of you should set aside a time that is most convenient so you can actually talk and discuss your day. Now communication does not only mean to talk to each other daily. It means you should be able to talk to them about anything. You should be able to discuss your feelings or fears. If you are not feeling that your relationship is going on the track you want it to, don't hesitate to mention it. Talking things out can help you both. Communicating is very helpful in an LDR.

3. Space.

SPACE?! I know it's weird, why would you want more space in a long distance relationship. Like any normal relationship, you should be able to have some time for yourself or for friends and family. I know sometimes it feels like you should be talking to your significant other 24/7 because you don't see them all the time. But that's not the case. Sometimes you both need some space to focus on other things and that's okay. So then when you both do talk to each other again, you'll have something new to talk about.

4. Love.

Love. A relationship can't survive if there's no love in the mix. Without it, there would be no dedication to the long distance relationship and it can cause a fallout. Love is a major component in an LDR. You need to be able to tell each other, "I love you." Because affirmation is always welcomed and sometimes needed.